Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Copying Files to an external hard drive in DOS  (Read 4066 times)

buchertomdon

Copying Files to an external hard drive in DOS
« on: July 19, 2006, 12:36:02 PM »
I need to copy the files on my existing internal hard drive to an external drive in DOS. I cannot run windows & must do a clean installation. Before I do, I'd like to save what I can. The external hard drive was not installed before I lost windows. Is there a command(s) for this? Any help would be appreciated.

GX1_Man

Re: Copying Files to an external hard drive in DOS
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 12:55:52 PM »
I don't know the issues with your Window's failure, but this will save your data:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1152393515

buchertomdon

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 02:00:38 PM »
I don't know the issues with your Window's failure, but this will save your data:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1152393515

Thanks for the help, looked at the link & read info on SLAX, but don't understand how it can help me save my data....will I be able to access my windows files from the linux OS? Sorry, I'm obviously a novice.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 06:49:29 PM »
Just boot it up and look around.  ;)

buchertomdon

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 11:38:12 AM »
Just boot it up and look around.  ;)

Hey that's great, but I spent 22 hrs downloading SLAX on to my son's laptop (dial-up only) then burned several CD's none of which will boot up. I keep getting the error message "Disk error 32, AX=421E, drive 9F- this is extremly frustrating, is something wrong with my disk? can't I buy a disk with SLAX or linux on it that will boot? HELP!!! I'm ready to can everything & just accpet that i've lost my data

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 09:52:44 PM »
What you get is an ISO file that has to be burned as an ISO with Nero or some other burning program. You can't just copy the files and a slow speed burn (I use 4x) is recommended.

You can order a SLAX or any other Linux CD if you want.

http://www.linuxcd.org/?ref=distrowatch

Do you have a CD and a CDRW in that machine? Do you have a home network?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 09:54:41 PM by GX1_Man »

buchertomdon

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 06:33:55 AM »
What you get is an ISO file that has to be burned as an ISO with Nero or some other burning program. You can't just copy the files and a slow speed burn (I use 4x) is recommended.

You can order a SLAX or any other Linux CD if you want.

http://www.linuxcd.org/?ref=distrowatch

Do you have a CD and a CDRW in that machine? Do you have a home network?

I have a CD/CDRW in my computer which is down, my son's laptop has a CD/DVD combo drive which is supposed to burn both-I used Alcohol120 to burn the CD-I'll just order a copy of SLAX from the site you mentioned- & hope I can figure out how to access & save my windows files. No I do not have a home network......thanks again, After all I've read I am looking forward to running linux.

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 04:40:06 PM »
Just remember that it is a LOT faster if you install a version on a hard drive, rather than running from a CDROM.

Also keep in mind that there is a learning curve. It is not Windows, although you will find some similarities.

You might do a google search on Linux tutorials, check out a book, read some forum posts at www.linuxquestions.org, etc.

Everyone had a learning curve with Windows also. They conveniently choose to forget it.