Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: color profile invalid when installing printer  (Read 7811 times)

lamped

color profile invalid when installing printer
« on: November 04, 2006, 12:49:14 AM »
 :-? I was running a HP7150 printer perfectly well on my windows xp but I then decided to purchase an all in one Hp F380.  When I tried to install it after connecting the usb I received the error mesage from install wizard that it cannot install be Thespecified color profile is invalid.  I contacted HP deleted all printers and started again but was still unable to install same error.  I have tried loading win color manger program but recieve an error with that.  I do not have Diamond compatible 9300K G2.2 icm in my list which HP say I need.  I bought my comp from Tiny who did nopt give me a windows xp disk and are bust. I have also installed a debugger program but still with no joy.  Please this is my third day trying I am pulling my hair out.  I have even tried to put my old printer back on but am now receiving same error message for that. HELP.......

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: color profile invalid when installing printer
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 08:25:36 AM »
Are you running Win XP, with SP2?

lamped

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 10:18:18 AM »
yes windows xp home edition and I have reinstalled windows sp2 to see if installing
would make a differnce but it hasn't. I have managed to install a very old printer via the
the printer port rather than usb but I still only have three options in the color management
kodak, srgb and ici

soybean

Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 10:38:04 AM »
I really don't understand your issue.  I have three printers installed in my Win XP system.  For all of them, the Color Management tab of the printer Properties panel is basically the same.  In each case, the box for Automatic is checked.  Automatic means "Windows will automatically select the best color profile from the list of associated color profiles."  

You said you have "three options in the color management kodak, srgb and ici".  Are you talking about profiles?   How many profiles do you need?

Your Hp F380 is a fairly new printer, right?  Did you use the CD that came with it to install the printer?  

You might visit this HP printer forum: http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/familyhome.do?familyId=218

lamped

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 11:45:37 AM »
Yes used cd installed to the letter and after connect usb I receive the error message cannot install printer error
 The specified color profile is invalid.  I have been in touch with HP and they say its a operating system fault.  I bought my comp from tiny who have gone bust and do not supply you with thw windows xp cd. any ideas nothing on that website to do with color profiles that I can see

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 12:11:16 PM »
Well, since you reinstalled SP2, I'm skeptical of HP's assertion that "its a operating system fault."  Other than this printer issue, are you having any other problems with your computer?

Here's a Google find, Understanding Printer Colour Management, which says, "Almost all contemporary printers ship with profiles for their inks and that manufacturer's popular papers. These are usually installed automatically when you install the printer driver."   Therefore, I think this is a seldom encountered issue; most computer users simply install the software that came with their printer, which installs the necessary color profile, and there's no problem.  

For more references, Google printer color profiles or something similar.  

Anyone else have some thoughts on this?

« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 12:11:40 PM by soybean »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 12:45:44 PM »
I would go to add/remove programs and remove any HP software and try re-installing.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

lamped

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 06:05:06 AM »
Thanks everyone for your suggestions Result by reloading old HP rinter via printer port removing nad reinstalling windows sp2 and hey presto printer is now working.  Thanks again everyone for your suggestions