Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems running PCLinuxOS LiveCD  (Read 7826 times)

newbietone

Problems running PCLinuxOS LiveCD
« on: March 22, 2007, 06:13:55 AM »
I'm a newbie, although I have tinkered with Unix before today. I have just tried to run a PCLinuxOS v9.3 - big daddy - from my CD on an XP configured machine by simply altering the boot drive sequence. I get the list of boot options as expected and choose LIVECD - default. The PCLinuxOS coloured badge appears and starts the loading process, then I get an error message "ERROR: Unable to mount the livecd" - "dropping you to a limited shell". It then loads /initrd/bin/ash - ending with a message - "cant access tty; job control turned off" and then leaves me with the ash command prompt.

Bearing in mind this whole apparatus works perfectly well with XP at the moment and also that I have a perfectly normal IDE CD read drive unit, this was unexpected.

It looks very serious and basic to me - can anyone shed some light on what the problem might be / where to get help etc.

Many thanks - a newbie.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Problems running PCLinuxOS LiveCD
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 07:10:20 AM »
By far the easiest thing to do is simply try a different distribution.  What do you intend to use this Linux machine for?

Ubuntu, VectorLinux, SuSE and Fedora are all good alternative choices and there are many others.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

newbietone

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 11:14:38 AM »
Thanks for the opinion Rob. I was coming round to that idea myself as I've made no progress over the past 2 days. The problem is it may be a faulty distribution burn but I cant even check the CD as it wont mount. I will download something fairly simple - as you suggest - and try that first. Probably getting back to some basic Unix type scripting and a basic shell is needed first.

With regards to what do I want to do with the PC - this is my first attempt to create a working desktop Linux based system. I have eventually decided to give Microsoft the heave-ho as their software distributions and VISTA are just a joke - the costs are just not worth it.

Will let you know what happens. Thanks.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 11:54:37 AM »
In that case, Ubuntu is an obvious choice.  I would prefer the Kubuntu flavour (more of a desktop for power users) or the Xubuntu flavour (for older hardware).

I presume you did md5 sum checks on your downloaded ISOs?

Do keep us posted!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 11:54:59 AM by robpomeroy »

newbietone

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 01:32:30 PM »
Rob,

Success, ran the same CD distribution on another machine quickly put together and no problems. Live CD ran but a little slow. I suspect something to do with the sequence of CD access on the first system was at fault - will partially rebuild it and try again.

Thanks.

P.S. Havnt yet needed to try another distro so will persevere with this one for the time being - keep things as simple as possible.

Now have to get to grips with what an ISO image is prior to the installation.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 02:10:12 PM »
Live CD ran but a little slow.
Try running Windows off a CD!!!

Now have to get to grips with what an ISO image is prior to the installation.
I don't follow you - haven't you've already created a burnt CD from an ISO?

newbietone

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 11:01:32 AM »
I bought a distribution CD from Linuxman Rob - so it's all pretty new to me.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 11:39:22 AM »
Ah, got you.

If you have a fat enough internet pipe, you can download different Linux distributions rapidly.  Once you have the ISO images, use something like DeepBurner (see the software FAQ - link is in my signature) to write to CD.  But I do recommend using >md5summer< prior to burning to verify your downloaded ISOs.

newbietone

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 10:23:01 AM »
Thanks for the info Rob - have just returned from holiday.