Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop freezes during device installation  (Read 10008 times)

pcs_hate_me

Laptop freezes during device installation
« on: June 08, 2007, 08:46:45 AM »
I recently did a system recovery on my laptop and it was succesful but after it restarted as normal it loaded some things quickly and then a dialog box appeared which says

"Setup is detecting and installing devices on your computer...please wait while setup detects and installs devices such as your keyboard and mouse...will take several minutes....screen may flicker for a few seconds"

It loads halfway then freezes(i can't move the mouse anymore)

i have a Gateway Laptop on windows xp....
So i don't know what to do

The Saviour

Re: Laptop freezes during device installation
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 09:01:32 AM »
Can you tell us why you had to do a system recovery?

Also...are you performing this recovery with software provided by the laptop's manufacturer or from a recovery program within the laptop?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 09:14:33 AM by The Saviour »

pcs_hate_me

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 06:36:59 AM »
Because it was overheating and because it's my bro's old laptop and i wanted to start over.

I'm using the recovery program within the laptop.

I do system restores several times and it gets up to the mouse/keyboard installation and freezes halfway. Then if i do another one it goes past that and installs more devices but it overheats and shuts off before it finishes.

The restore is always successful, it's just when i restart and it's installing devices it either freezes or overheats...

If this helps, i have a bad battery so i have to keep my laptop plugged in whenever it's on, it only lasts 5-6 minutes without it being plugged in.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 06:58:55 AM by pcs_hate_me »

The Saviour

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 07:14:48 AM »
They don't hate you...sometimes they just have a mind of their own... ;D

Anyway...the problem is that your laptop is overheating...preventing the recovery...this needs to be addressed.

Check the fan on this laptop...is it working and free of dust?  A good cleaning wouldn't hurt.

If you don't need any of the data on this laptop, I'd recommend a clean install using the manufacturer's recovery disks.  If you do not have them, provide me with the model number of this Gateway laptop and I'll be more than happy to try and locate the recovery disks for you.

If the laptop continually overheats...your recovery will continue to fail until you resolve this issue.

If cleaning the unit doesn't help...and you're not comfortable working on the internals of a laptop...I would also recommend having a tech look at it.  You may also be able to locate a repair manual online...just Google it.

Waiting for your reply...

pcs_hate_me

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 07:19:40 AM »
I had a similiar problem with an old desktop computer that's why lol

The fans....well the outside of it isn't dusty(obiously) and i dont know how to clean the inside.

Recovery disks.....I think i have them but i don't know how to use them...they look like blank CD's to me....It comes in a plastic bag covering, inside is 4 disks and there's a manual that says system restore guide or something like that....I took out one and put it in my laptop because i thought it might do something but it didn't.

And yea i wouldn't mind getting rid of the data on it...

I'm currently at school and will get model # by tomorrow

The Saviour

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 07:34:03 AM »
Make sure the fan is spinning when you turn the thing on and also make sure any exhaust ports aren't blocked...again, if it's overheating...and the afore mentioned items check out, then we have a hardware issue.

Glad to hear you have the recovery disks.  Normally, Gateway recovery disks are bootable, so you may need to change the boot sequence in BIOS in order to boot from the recovery disk...but with it overheating...it may be a lost cause.

Will wait for you to supply the model #.

pcs_hate_me

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 01:47:18 PM »
The model number is BCM94306MPSG

How do i use the recovery disks?

The Saviour

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 01:48:03 PM »
That's not the model number of your computer...that's a Broadcom modem model number.

Please list the names of the disks you currently have...

pcs_hate_me

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 01:51:27 PM »
wow, you're fast

this is my laptop http://support.gateway.com/support/allsysteminfo.asp?sn=N3456C1031651

The cd's arent named....they're blank except for some little numbers and letters on the inside transparent part of the cd which has numbers and letters.

There's two white packages with 3 CD's each in them.

The Saviour

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 01:59:47 PM »
The recovery disks should be clearly labeled unless these are copies...

Again, please provide me with the model number of your Gateway machine.

pcs_hate_me

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 02:02:47 PM »
There's different numbers so i'm not sure

N3456C1031651 is the serial number
7330GZ is the model #

i wasn't sure what you meant, i thought you were going to go to the company site

The Saviour

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 02:14:56 PM »
This link is used if you or someone created system recovery disks:

http://support.gateway.com/s/Manuals/Desktops/8510406.pdf

This link is for using the Gateway System Recovery program:

http://support.gateway.com/s/Manuals/Desktops/9532287.pdf

We need to determine what's on those balnk CDs before we use them...did someone create these as recovery CDs?  You may want to explore them to see exactly what's on them.  Then get back to me...if they are not recovery CDs, you'll have to contact Gateway to obtain them.

pcs_hate_me

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 02:24:32 PM »
The cd's are blank, i put them in my brother's laptop (the one i'm on now) and it said it was blank.

I read the instructions to the system restore and i did it exactly that way it's just that the device installation never finishes.....I think it's an overheating problem, how can i clean the inside of my laptop, i dont even have a small enough screwdriver to take out the screws of the case....

The Saviour

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 02:29:08 PM »
Have you ever opened up a notebook computer before?  If not, I wouldn't recommend it.

The problem you're having is your notebook is overheating and is probably hardware related.

If you feel comfortable opening one up and doing exporatory surgery on it, then I'd recommend obtaining an online service manual for your notebook.  You may find a free one or you may have to purchase one...just Google "7330GZ Repair Manual".

Good luck!

pcs_hate_me

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 02:30:09 PM »
Thanks for your help.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007, 02:32:50 PM »
Hope you don't mind me jumping in here.
If you're interested there is a good guide to cooling down your notebook PC available here in addition to The Saviour's post.

The Saviour

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2007, 02:34:11 PM »
You're welcome.

pcs_hate_me

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 06:33:46 AM »
thanks calum, i'll look into that

Edit: The guide looks pretty useful, i'll try cleaning my laptop out in a few days once i get the canned air.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 08:50:18 AM »
OK, let us know how it goes.

pcs_hate_me

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2007, 06:47:11 AM »
I didn't have to buy anything....i just blew some dust out of the heat sinks and fans and it doesn't overheat anymore. Now, it just freezes when it's installing the drivers and applications after the recovery.

This might be why:
"Due to the large number of virus and spyware threats on the internet, it is recommended that you disconnect all internet connections before reinstalling Windows®. After the Windows installation, antivirus and firewall software can be installed and then the internet connection can be re-enabled to update the antivirus definitions and perform Windows Updates. "

http://support.gateway.com/s/SOFTWARE/Medialess/MLXPH1/MLXPH1su7.shtml

I'll try the system restore again and disconnect my internet because often, it freezes while installing norton antivirus...(but would my internet still be connected if i'm doing a system restore?) I don't think so but i'll try that anyway...any other solutions may help

The Saviour

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2007, 06:55:07 AM »
If you're still using the recovery program within the Gateway laptop...and it freezes when installing drivers, applications, etc., before trying to click anything or move your mouse, let it finish installing the drivers for your hardware.

If it continues to hang...then there may be a problem with the recovery program itself.  Using the manufaturer's recovery CDs are more practical...there's no telling what's wrong with the recovery program already installed on the drive.

Also...depending on how old the laptop is...flashing the BIOS may be a good idea...but only if needed...and only as a LAST RESORT.

pcs_hate_me

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2007, 02:01:07 PM »
i tried the restore without moving the mouse or pressing any keys but it still freezes, and i don't know how to get the recovery disks

what's "flashing the BIOS?"

The Saviour

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2007, 02:33:23 PM »
You can get your recovery CDs from the manufacturer's website...in this case:  Gateway

If you're not familiar with what flashing the BIOS is...I'd forget about it at this particular moment...remember...I said it's a last resort.

Purchase manfacturer's recovery CDs and start from there.  Once you receive your recovery CDs...follow the manufacturer's instructions for recovery.

pcs_hate_me

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2007, 11:20:10 AM »
I must've tried system restore almost 100 times this past week or two(because i'm stubborn/stupid).

Anyways, it keep freezing while installing norton, so i pressed ESC when it was doing that and some messages popped up and i finished the restore, i just need to download an antivirus now....

Thanks a lot guys, guess i don't need to come here anymore....for now.....hopefully.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2007, 03:38:16 PM »
Here's a well rounded Protection Package for you after banging heads with______n's

Anti-Virus: Choose only one.

Avast or
AVG Free

Then each one of these:

AdAware

Spybot

AVG Anti-virus
(formerly Ewido )

CCleaner

WinPatrol

All the above are FREE and will give you as i say a well rounded defense....as long as you update and scan on a regular basis.

Good Luck.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "