Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IDE Hard drive not working in new computer  (Read 5105 times)

Karroog

Topic Starter

Rookie

IDE Hard drive not working in new computer
    « on: September 17, 2007, 06:39:56 PM »
    Hey all first time here, hope someone can help with my problem.

So I have a Western Digital IDE 250g hard drive.  On my last computer it worked fine, everything was happy and good.

Well, computer shot, got a new one:

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
    EVGA 512-P2-N773-AR GeForce 8600GTS 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADX6000CZBOX
    LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA Model LH-20A1S
    Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KHX6400D2LLK2/2GN

Think that I only really need to list the motherboard for the problem, but anyhoo....

New compy has Vista on it.  New motherboard has mostly SATA connections, but it does have 1 IDE.  I was very happy to get it because of my old 250g still had files I needed. 

I plugged in my old hard drive, went into the BIOS and it showed up, which I thought I was great. 

I then started up Vista, and it basically was on the loading screen for about 2 minutes.  I tried multiple times to load vista and it was just stuck on the loading screen.  It usually only stays there for about 5 seconds.  I had no clue what was happening.

There is no jumper on it, however it does show the hard drive as the Primary in the IDE lineup.  Which I thought was fine considering my OS is on the SATA hard drive.

Any suggestions or comments on how I could make this work would be great.  I just want to have the IDE hard drive on my computer so I can use it for storage of my larger files.

Thanks!

GX44

Hopeful
    • Never Stood A Chance!
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: IDE Hard drive not working in new computer
    « Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 05:46:29 AM »
    Was this HDD a data drive or did it have an OS on it?
    What did you do when you put the old HDD into the new computer?
    Does your new computer have a new HDD, you don't mention this so I'm guessing you haven't?

You also haven't stated if you done a fresh install when you got the new computer.

If the old HDD still has an OS on it you will need to remove it as the drivers/settings etc. will all be for your old computer. Suggest slaving it to another computer, backing up all inportant data then reformating it.
    "Bob Loblaw's Law Blog"

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 02:54:49 PM »
    I've never seen a WD IDE hard drive that didn't have jumpers...it needs to be jumpered as slave and connected to the middle IDE connector.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Karroog

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 06:38:59 PM »
      Does your new computer have a new HDD, you don't mention this so I'm guessing you haven't?

You also haven't stated if you done a fresh install when you got the new computer.

If the old HDD still has an OS on it you will need to remove it as the drivers/settings etc. will all be for your old computer. Suggest slaving it to another computer, backing up all inportant data then reformating it.

The hard drive is a data drive.  The new computer has 2 new hard drives.  I have done a fresh install of windows vista on my new computer.  The OS for vista is located within a partition on one of the new hard drives. 

I will try to connect the hard drive as a slave, will update in a bit.

Karroog

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 06:30:46 AM »

The hard drive is a data drive.  The new computer has 2 new hard drives.  I have done a fresh install of windows vista on my new computer.  The OS for vista is located within a partition on one of the new hard drives. 

I will try to connect the hard drive as a slave, will update in a bit.

Tried to make the hard drive a slave, but the motherboard recognized it as a IDE master.  Not sure how to correct this.  The master that has the OS is SATA, so I'm not sure how to configure this.

deep

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 10:01:52 AM »
          YOu have to put the jumper on to the slave position.  If you have an OS on the drive in question it will not load as a slave no matter what you do.  I also do not know if Vista uses NTFS file system or if that is new, which could cause a conflict. 

Karroog

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 03:10:32 AM »
            YOu have to put the jumper on to the slave position.  If you have an OS on the drive in question it will not load as a slave no matter what you do.  I also do not know if Vista uses NTFS file system or if that is new, which could cause a conflict. 

There is no OS on the drive.  Only thing on the hard drive is data such as word files, music etc.  Anyone know if Vista uses NTFS file system or not?

kuszmania9999

Adviser

• citizenship
            « Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 05:09:36 AM »
            Vista use ntfs.
            I'm very sure this all about jumper.Try finding the correct setting.
            I don't think having another os in your slave will make conflict ???
            as long as you set the first boot and the jumper setting to the new hdd.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 06:28:35 AM »
            You can try this:
            Remove the IDE drive.
            Do a few cold boots with just the SATA drive until Vista starts with no hiccups.
            Then re-introduce the IDE drive and see what happens.

p.s. You are likely having problems if Vista was not re-installed...any OS since XP will balk and fight when major components are swapped or replaced as the Windows install ties itself to the hardware it was installed on.
            You may need to do a Repair Install.

DaveLembke

Sage
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 10:40:59 AM »
            If you still have problems, you can always get a cheap external HD enclosure for about $20 and have the 250GB drive as a External USB 2.0 drive etc. This is the safest way to get your data, but you will need to look up the drive and set the jumpers accordingly for the drive to work. I believe CS ( Cable Select ) works for most external USB drives, otherwise MASTER mode.

Dave

Karroog

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 07:51:53 AM »
              Might have to do the external setup sadly....

Tried again, sorry my posts are far inbetween school and work keep me on my toes.

Tried to make the drive slave again, and it worked!  The slave part that is.  The motherboard finally recognized the drive as a IDE slave.  So I tried to boot up the computer again with the hard drive connected and...

10 minutes on the vista loading screen.  Got sad and just disconnected it again.  Not sure why it is doing this.  Anyone have any ideas?

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 07:36:21 PM »
              DLoad and run the diagnostics from the drive manuf. site...they are free.
              Follow the instructions on creating a bootable CD and test that drive.

Karroog

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 07:07:34 AM »
                DLoad and run the diagnostics from the drive manuf. site...they are free.
                Follow the instructions on creating a bootable CD and test that drive.

Can't find the diagnostic for the hard drive.  It is a Western Digital Caviar SE 250g.  Looked through the site and I'm not seeing it.

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 04:33:39 PM »
                Data Lifeguard Tools

Make sure to select the type of drive you have from the dropdown list...

P.S. Use the utility to partition and format the drive as well...