Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Using MSCDEX.EXE in Config.sys  (Read 12355 times)

Mark Duffy

Using MSCDEX.EXE in Config.sys
« on: January 18, 2005, 06:03:25 AM »
I am trying to get DOS to mound a cdrom drive with a drive letter in the config.sys so that i can load further drivers from the CD is there anyway i can do this, i have tried to do it in the autoexec.bat but this loads after the drivers would in the config.sys

any help apriciated, Mark

Zzyzx

Re: Using MSCDEX.EXE in Config.sys
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 07:52:06 AM »
MSCDEX provides access to CD-ROM drives and is loaded in the autoexec.bat file. In the config.sys file you have to load the drivers that came with your CD drive.

Ex:

in CONFIG.SYS: device=c:\devices\cdromdrv.sys /d:mscd000
in AUTOEXEC:    c:\dos\mscdex /d:mscd000

the d: switch names must match or else it won't work.

Why not copy the drivers on your CD to the hard disk and load them from there in the config file?

Mark Duffy

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 09:27:57 AM »
this is being used on a CD i need to load the cdrom drivers from the emulated floppy disk on the same cdbefore i load the network drivers(they are located on a cd but cannot be seen on the cd because the cdrom has not been mounted)

I had tried to put it in the config.sys as this loads before the autoexec.bat (using the INSTALL command) although in the config.sys  loads all the "DEVICE" commands Before the "INSTALL", is there any way to program it to load

"device=oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
INSTALL=A:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001"

before loading

"DEVICE=\B57\protman.dos /I:A:\B57
DEVICE=\B57\Ntsts.dos
DEVICE=\B57\B57.dos
DEVICE=A:\NET\DLSHELP.SYS"

Zzyzx

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 10:14:11 AM »
The best I could come up with is that MSCDEX  can only be loaded from the autoexec.bat file or from the command prompt.

I even checked my PC DOS 7 manual (brown with age but still readable).

This is quite a dilemma. Maybe someone else can post a solution for you.

:(

spider-

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 09:50:50 PM »
look on page 16 topic Making a dos BootCD, I hope it wil help. had kind of the same problem.