Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help making custom distro  (Read 4557 times)

linuxlover

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • That's not Data!
    Help making custom distro
    « on: March 24, 2008, 05:21:19 PM »
    I am [trying to] make a distribution of Linux based on Ubuntu, that will come with all the necessary things like libdvdcss, gstreamer, lame, azureus, frostwire. I have all the Debian files and I have the ISO itself, along with it's decompressed contents. I also have the disc if necessary. Now one thing, when the installer scans the CD, does it scan for ALL files, or only ones from a certain list. And when I'm done, how will I put the boot sector back on? If it just scans for ALL packages in /pool/main, then I can just put the DEBs there and have them install like all the normal packages, if not, I have found another file, that looks exactly like the APT information, and specifies the exact location. I also found some files in each tarball (I got most of them by apt-get source and alien) that look similar, but say 'hash' instead. Do I add the hash to the APT list, and the DEB to the pool? Or do I do something completely different? I'm confused. If it helps, I have the source files, should I need them again.
    System Specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    1024MB DDR400
    GeForce 7600GS
    160GB SATA II
    500-watt PSU
    Techforumz.tk

alan2273

Beginner
      • Experience: Familiar
      Re: Help making custom distro
      « Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 04:18:08 PM »
      Perhaps this might answer some of your questions.
      https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization?action=show&redirect=LiveCDCustomization%2F6.06
      I admire you for trying to put together your own distro, I have tried in the past but always failed, time being a major factor.