Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Fatal Error- Data error (cyclic redundancy check)  (Read 5305 times)

Janniiie

Topic Starter

Fatal Error- Data error (cyclic redundancy check)
    « on: March 28, 2008, 11:31:39 AM »
    Im installing windows xp home edition on emachines W3118 , I have two internal hard drives and one is old and one is new. Old one is 80 GB and I formatted it and the new one is 160 GB and they are both Western Digital hard drives. The 160 GB I was just going to use as extra storage. I also have a dvd writer that is new, it is made by lite on, model is LH-20A1P33C, I did have a cd rw/dvd rom drive but I took it out because it couldn't be read. I don't have to have it right since I have the dvd writer now-Is that correct?

I have 1 GB memory on my system. I have one partition on the 80 GB drive and it is C: 

During windows xp home with sp2 installation I get this error:
    Source: System Setup Log - (C:\WINDOWS\setuperr.log)

Error:
    SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file "D:\i386\asms\10\MSFT\WINDOWS\GDIPLUS.MAN" on line 4.

Error:
    Installation failed D:\I386\asms. Error Message: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Fatal Error:
    One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.

Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

If you are installing from a CD, there might be a problem with the disc; try cleaning the disc or using another disc.

If you are installing from the network, it is possible that not all of the files were copied correctly to your disk drive. Run the disk checking utility on your installation drive from the Recovery Console and start setup again.

Deerpark

Egghead
      Re: Fatal Error- Data error (cyclic redundancy check)
      « Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 12:10:38 PM »
      Have you tried doing what error message suggests?
      If you are installing from a CD, there might be a problem with the disc; try cleaning the disc or using another disc.
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Janniiie

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 12:22:08 PM »
        Yes I did clean the disk and also I restarted the computer and started the recovery console and it asked me which windows installation would I like to log onto and I chose the only one there was - C:\Windows

then it asked me for the administrator password:  I'm not aware that there is a password so I just pushed "enter"

then I did C:\WNDOWS>chkdsk

volume created 03/28/08 11:41a

The volume serial number is 54aa-0dbf

The volume appears to be in good condition and was not checked. Use \p uf you want to check the volume anyway.

78140128 kilobytes total disk space.

77611024 kilobytes are available.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.

19535032 total allocation units on disk.

19402756 allocation units available on disk.

Update: setup has restarted and it is at the installing windows stage and says it will complete in 39 minutes but it has been saying that for awhile- the screen is animating though so  I guess it is still installing. I don't know if it is stuck or what.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 01:14:20 PM by Janniiie »

Deerpark

Egghead
          « Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 03:53:16 AM »
          Well let us know whether you were able to complete the install or not.
          Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
          Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)