Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Corrupt Windows 98 shell32.dll file replcement  (Read 8000 times)

wereit

Topic Starter

Rookie

Corrupt Windows 98 shell32.dll file replcement
    « on: May 28, 2008, 11:23:06 PM »
    Of course... you cant log on when this file is corrupt in win98.  Advice from Microsoft is to attach to the computer and remote access in order to replace the file.  Ideally, of course, a win98 disk may repair the error.  So what if you cant attach because we dont know how to, is there a string of cmd commands I can use to copy from floppy into win98?  I understand this file needs to be written to \windows\system folder
    the link between MAN and GEEK

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    • Experience: Experienced

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

wereit

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Corrupt Windows 98 shell32.dll file replcement
      « Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 11:53:07 PM »
      Thank you so much, I will try these sites and let you know...  Cheers for the welcome!

wereit

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 02:56:17 AM »
        Ok, I checked out the links you posted Aegis, thanks.  It appears that these links refer to a slightly different problem.  The OS is win98, and the shell32.dll file is listed as corrupt upon log-on, disallowing the user to log on to his system.

I am thinking that the file needs to be copied to floppy, assuming that he has a floppy drive of course.
        I know that if I hot the F8 or the F5 key upon boot up I can access command prompt.

I guess I am after what commands I need to type to transfer the file from the floppy to c:\windows\system folder, to allow the client to log on.

The other alternative is to hope like *censored* that he has a copy of win98 to perform a repair from...

;D

programming_pat

Apprentice

• I like Rabbits and Guinea pigs
          « Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 03:02:09 AM »
          the other option is that you could put your hard drive into another computer as a slave, and copy the required replacement file over

wereit

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 04:02:28 AM »
            Thanks... OF COURSE!  I guess I was hoping to fix this on site... But taking it away and messing with it via external hdd enclosure is an easier option... thanks for taking me back to the basics programming pat.

:D

[recovering space - attachment deleted by admin]