Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Pls help me I'm so confused here  (Read 6452 times)

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Pls help me I'm so confused here
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 03:26:18 AM »
Another Squall?  ::)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 10:04:11 AM »
Hellwhore BC prog, you dont have to know the CMOS setup b4 you know what to do,let an error msg be your guide. Get ittt....

Yes, you would need to know the CMOS settings, since I'm fairly sure that is where the drive would be disabled, or the setting changed from the universal default of [Auto] which you recommend it be changed to. Unless you are actually referring to using the "HDD IDE autodetect" feature of many motherboards, which would be a flawed technique for many reasons.

It adds them to the Table as Drive type 47, and specifies the disk geometry explicitly. While this will function as long as the same drive is present, it will cause issues when replacing drives or swapping master/Slave arrangements, as the computer will now be accessing the devices using the wrong geometry. I've personally seen this cause an entire hard drives data to be corrupted. Additionally, since using the "Autodetect" feature simply uses the same information returned by the default [Auto] setting in the BIOS, it provides over using that option.

Last but most importantly, as specified previously, most autodetect options are related to IDE drives (since SATA, as far as I'm aware, has it's own PnP mechanisms), which should completely preclude any such recommendation.

This is almost surely an issue between XP and SATA, which was already rectified, by somebody who bothered to read and comprehend the entire post, and additionally was aware of the issues XP has with SATA drives:

Ah, SATA.

You may need to slipstream the motherboard SATA drivers into your Windows XP installation source and burn a new CD.  Use nLite for this purpose:

http://www.nliteos.com/guide/part1.html

Hellwhore BC prog

Awww, he gave be a pet name... I'm touched. Can't even be bothered to use the underscore or the full name even, which confuses me further. Was it intended towards me? Or his cat,Bee C. Prague? One can only guess...

Hmm. Bee C. prague is a good name for a pet, I'm writing it down... Oh, I already have. nevermind.

Another Squall?  ::)

Squall will just use the >:( emoticon if he is angered, he doesn't give pet names.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 11:18:37 AM »
Be C prog
B Cee prague
Be See prag..........
The possibilities are endless...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 06:47:06 PM »
********* BC prog, you dont have to know the CMOS setup b4 you know what to do,let an error msg be your guide. Get ittt....
There is no need for immature name calling on this forum.

Its okay if someone contradicts what you say, and its fine if you correct them if they happen to be wrong.
Its not fine to go about flaming other members.

It seems this user still needs the question answered, and none of this is helping.

Everyone here is capable of having a clear and clean mind. Use that ability.

killerb255

Adviser
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 10:48:08 PM »
    It seems this user still needs the question answered, and none of this is helping.

I've given the user one option:

Ah, SATA.

You may need to slipstream the motherboard SATA drivers into your Windows XP installation source and burn a new CD.  Use nLite for this purpose:

http://www.nliteos.com/guide/part1.html
    Quote from: talontromper
    Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 12:33:25 PM »
    I think what really needs to happen is the OP needs to return.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.