Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: no icons on desktop  (Read 3079 times)

stride

Topic Starter

Starter

no icons on desktop
    « on: January 03, 2009, 11:09:36 PM »
     help.... my desktop is completely blank, all i have is my display background, and i have no icons. i ran my virus scanner (avg free) and cleared out 2 Trojans that had registry keys attached with them, but that turned out not to be the problem. I think it could be another virus that avg didn't catch but i'm not too sure that is the case. Also i was watching a movie online which could be the problem... because when i was watching it, the problem started. I can access my icons and the start menu only when i change accounts, but it only lasts for about 30 seconds. I cannot right click on my desktop with this problem but other than that everything else seems to be working. I have tried system restore but that did not work, I know i am being very vague, I'm sorry, Please if you have any questions, post here  and i will reply ASAP. thank you (:

Here is my Processor VV   If you need more specs just ask.

My computer Processor

E-machines-T6524
    AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+

« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 11:21:26 PM by stride »

pcwizard

Hopeful

• A computer is for life, not just gaming!!
      Re: no icons on desktop
      « Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »
      What icons did you have on your desktop before?
      Can you add new icons there now?

Have you gone into your Control Panel, and display options where you can add system default icons? - Try adding these.
      A computer is for life....not just gaming!!

stride

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 11:19:12 AM »
        i just had programs like Steam, counter-strike 1.6, ventrilo, avg free, AIM and basic programs like this,  I can still look at my icons and everything else through CTRL+ALT+DELETE. I also cannot add new icons. Whoa, this is weird when i opened my control panel all of my icons and taskbar came back!?! but they keep disappearing and coming back it stays for about 15 seconds then leaves for 5 seconds. I just received an error saying: "Service Pack 3 Setup Error" "Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running on this computer" This was an update for Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929). OK another weird thing just happened i did a virus scan with the SUPERanti spyware thing on your infections tab, and when it was finished i was deleting the virus's and i received a fatal system error. Oh and when i opened my control panel and clicked on the display icon nothing appeared to be there regarding system default icons.

stride

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 11:52:14 AM »
          YES, my computer problem is fixed  ;D the super anti-spyware program i found on your infections tab found the virus i am sorry for posting in the wrong section i did not know it was a virus. I ran another scan and it found it ;)