Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help using Microsoft Utility Rich Copy 4.0  (Read 9008 times)

HSACDM

Topic Starter

Starter

Help using Microsoft Utility Rich Copy 4.0
    « on: May 28, 2009, 09:56:24 AM »
    Hello everyone, I have about 22,000 files that I have to copy to CDs and an external hard drive. The file names are no longer than 132 characters, including the path name and they aren't nested. I've tried XCOPY and ROBOCOPY and although the file names aren't truncated, they both would not copy all of the files. Has anyone every used Rich Copy 4.0? I'm trying to use it, but I keep getting errors, such as "The system cannot find the specified path". I have been unable to locate a user manual or a listing of error codes. I'm trying to figure out the correct syntax to use for the source and destination paths.  I'm using a Dell Precision 490 computer with Window XP SP3 on it.  Please help. Thanks!  ??? :'(

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Help using Microsoft Utility Rich Copy 4.0
    « Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 11:11:57 AM »
    I think you might be hitting a filesystem limitation here.  I've come across this kind of thing before, on XP and Vista.  What are the underlying filesystems?  FAT32 or NTFS?
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

HSACDM

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 11:34:37 AM »
      Hi Rob, the underlying file system is NTFS.  I'm a beginner when it comes to DOS commands and syntax structure.  When I used ROBOCOPY it only copied half of the files to an external drive, which is about 11,000, before it went into a loop on this one particular file and I got the following error message:

"2009/05/22 10:15:40 ERROR 5 (0x00000005) Copying File C:\~ Renamed CDMTS Files Doc 6153-75
      56D_Disk 6_032309\5806_110804_DocumentationForMonarchAndTheCDM_5806_EML.doc
      Access is denied.
      Waiting 30 seconds... Retrying..."

I didn't know how to stop it from retrying to copy the same file, so I just closed the screen.  I read about changing the time intervals for retries, but what I tried didn't work.  Can you show me the correct syntax to deal with this error, so that ROBOCOPY will try maybe 2 times and then go on to the next file to copy.  I found Microsoft Rich Copy 4.0 Utility and thought it would be easier since it's GUI, but I don't know the correct syntax to use it because I kept getting "The system cannot find the specified path" error.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. ;D

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 11:51:13 AM »
      From command line syntax docs:

/R:n
          Tells Robocopy to retry 'n' times before giving up in the event of error (default is 1 million).

Giving the files shorter names may overcome the problem; not sure.
      Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

HSACDM

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 12:04:31 PM »
        Thanks Rob!  I'll try it.  Unfortunately, I can't shorten the file names.  Thanks again!  ;D