Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ntldr cannot be copied  (Read 9340 times)

bwilengende

Topic Starter

Starter

ntldr cannot be copied
    « on: June 01, 2009, 09:38:41 AM »
    A friend sent me a computer installed with windows XP in a language I don't know. So I decided to erase the hard disk and install an english language windows XP.
    I followed all steps using a windows XP CD. It started copying files but when it reached 99% a message appears that "setup cannot copy the file ntldr. To retry, press ENTER; To skip the file, Press ESC (with caution); To quit, press F3". After a lot of retry the file wasn't copied, so I skipped it.
    So the message came that the computer will restart in 15 seconds.
    From there onwards the computer boots but dosn't go far and says ntldr is missing.
    I have tried recommendations, including resetting BIOS/CMOS etc, but the same message appears whether I boot from the CD or from IDE-0.
     The whole problem lies on the fact that the ntldr file can not be copied from the CD, even after many retrials.
      Kindly help.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: ntldr cannot be copied
    « Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 11:35:32 AM »
    Only other time I saw this was with a customer who had a bootlegged illegal XP installation CD copied from an actual OEM CD. Told them to destroy that bootlegged CD or they could get into serious trouble if caught. They did so and paid $130 for a real copy of it.

But is your installation CD scratched at all or is the CD drive dirty? If unreadable from the CD it wont make its way to the Hard Drive. NTloader is required for windows to perform as you have found out.

Also be sure that you perform a clean installation in which you have formatted the hard drive prior to installation so that no old data remains if you want a clean successful build.

hot dog

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 12:36:39 PM »
     :) If you don't have a good installation disk, if you can find yourself a working computer with windows XP installed and can get ntldr from that computer and copy it over to the harddrive of your current computer.

While sitting at the good XP computer, open a command prompt and type:

attrib -s -h -r c:\ntldr

Press enter and then navigate to the root of the hard drive in Windows, here:  C:\   
    Look for the ntldr file and copy it to a formatted floppy disk (if the computer doesn't have a floppy drive, you could borrow a USB floppy drive  from someone)

Next, take that floppy disk and go stick it in the computer with the "missing ntldr" file. Be sure the boot order in CMOS is set in with the Floppy drive to boot before the hard Drive.  Turn on the computer and it should boot up, for the first time.  Leave the floppy disk in the computer until Windows finishes all the  first-time-starting processes and then copy that ntldr file from the floppy disk to the root of the harddrive c:\, just like it was when you got it from the other computer....

NOTE: once you copied the ntldr file to the computer and remove the floppy disk, you might get the error "ntldr commpressed".  To fix, download the Windows XP recovery console CD (if the current installation CD does not have recovery console)

Boot off the Recovery Console CD and Select "R" when given the option to do so, type "1" press enter, and then enter your admin. password.  If there is no password then just hit enter.  When you get to the command prompt type:  cd \  and you'll be at this  c:\>

Next type: attrib -c c:\ntldr, hit enter, and then exit the recovery console and restart and it should be fixed

If you have any questions or get confused, feel free to ask
    « Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 12:49:31 PM by blockHEAD »

bwilengende

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 11:11:48 PM »
      Thanks blockHEAD for your good comment and explanation. However, I haven't managed to get the file. Here is the procedure I followed:
      Start, click run, I typed cmd, press enter: this took me to the command prompt.
      When I entered the command you gave me, that is attrib -s -h -r c:\ntldr by copying and pasting, nothing was recognised.
      I typed it without spaces, the result was 'attrib-s-h-r' is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable programme or batch file.
      When I type it leaving a space between attrib and -s, it says, invalid switch
      Help me more please.

hot dog

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 11:54:47 PM »
      If you enter a command prompt using CMD at the RUN command and you type:
      attrib -s -h -r c:\ntldr      and press enter, it should take you right back to the command prompt you started with...

At that point, close the command prompt window, by clicking on the X in the top-right corner..

Next, go to START>Computer>click on the C drive, and look VERY closely and you will see the ntldr file......Drag and drop it to the floppy disk and Wammo!....you've got your file...load it up like I described before        NOTE: it might be easier (instead of draging and droping the file) to right-click on it (ntldr) and click "copy", then go back to "my computer", click to open the floppy drive, right-click in the floppy drive Window and click "paste"..

If that method doesn't work for you (navigating through Windows), instead of closing the Command Prompt after entering the "attrib" command type this: instead:

cd \  press enter: that will will put you here:  C:\>

next, at that prompt type:  a:  (without any spaces)

That will bring you to the root of the floppy disk (you should be here:  A:\> )

Next, type:  copy c:\ntldr              press enter and it should copy the ntldr file to the floppy disk.........and you're done............load it up, like I described before.....

let me know if you have problems or questions ;)

« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 12:04:53 AM by blockHEAD »

JJ 3000

Egghead
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 12:19:30 AM »
      A friend sent me a computer installed with windows XP in a language I don't know. So I decided to erase the hard disk and install an english language windows XP.
      I followed all steps using a windows XP CD. It started copying files but when it reached 99% a message appears that "setup cannot copy the file ntldr. To retry, press ENTER; To skip the file, Press ESC (with caution); To quit, press F3". After a lot of retry the file wasn't copied, so I skipped it.
      So the message came that the computer will restart in 15 seconds.
      From there onwards the computer boots but dosn't go far and says ntldr is missing.
      I have tried recommendations, including resetting BIOS/CMOS etc, but the same message appears whether I boot from the CD or from IDE-0.
       The whole problem lies on the fact that the ntldr file can not be copied from the CD, even after many retrials.
        Kindly help.

Either the CD is dirty/scratched or the CD drive is dirty. Clean the CD. If that doesn't work, swap out the CD drive for a known good one.

Good luck!
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.
      http://www.petfinder.com/

hot dog

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 12:23:06 AM »
      Either the CD is dirty/scratched or the CD drive is dirty. Clean the CD. If that doesn't work, swap out the CD drive for a known good one.

Good luck!

this is a good point..........but if you can't find another CD drive, or don't want to use a lense cleaner.......use my suggestion as a work-around :)

bwilengende

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 09:00:10 AM »
        If you enter a command prompt using CMD at the RUN command and you type:
        attrib -s -h -r c:\ntldr      and press enter, it should take you right back to the command prompt you started with...

At that point, close the command prompt window, by clicking on the X in the top-right corner..

Next, go to START>Computer>click on the C drive, and look VERY closely and you will see the ntldr file......Drag and drop it to the floppy disk and Wammo!....you've got your file...load it up like I described before        NOTE: it might be easier (instead of draging and droping the file) to right-click on it (ntldr) and click "copy", then go back to "my computer", click to open the floppy drive, right-click in the floppy drive Window and click "paste"..

If that method doesn't work for you (navigating through Windows), instead of closing the Command Prompt after entering the "attrib" command type this: instead:

cd \  press enter: that will will put you here:  C:\>

next, at that prompt type:  a:  (without any spaces)

That will bring you to the root of the floppy disk (you should be here:  A:\> )

Next, type:  copy c:\ntldr              press enter and it should copy the ntldr file to the floppy disk.........and you're done............load it up, like I described before.....

let me know if you have problems or questions ;)

Thanks a lot blockHEAD; IT HAS WORKED. It was realy wonderful. It booted straight and luckly it did not take me to the error of compessed ntldr.
        I am new to this forum, but for your great help, I'll remain an active member and give help to others. Thanks.

hot dog

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 09:08:06 AM »
         :)

Just remember, when you are booted into Windows, copy the ntldr file from the floppy disk to the new computer.  If you don't, you'll always have to use the floppy disk to boot your computer..

When you are logged on, open up the floppy disk, right-click on the ntldr file, click copy, then go to "my computer", click on the C drive, then anywhere in THAT window, right-click and then click "paste"......Then you will have the ntldr file permanently...

Now, once you do this, and you restart, you might get the "ntldr commpressed" error, if so....follow my previous instructions to correct it

I don't know if this happens with all computers, but it happened to me once when I was experimenting
        « Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 09:48:35 AM by blockHEAD »

nalee

Beginner
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 02:37:59 PM »
          Kudos to Block Head for adding someone to the computer hope party train  :)
          "If you don't stand behind the troops, feel free to stand in front of em"

hot dog

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 02:44:46 PM »
          yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :)