Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ubuntu 9.10  (Read 4375 times)

spock

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Ubuntu 9.10
    « on: November 22, 2009, 07:03:24 AM »
      I have been trying to install Ubuntu 9.i into a partition. I get about 83% through the process, and then when I choose the partition I get the error message"No root file is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu." The partition is a FAT 32 or NTFS (I've tried them both).
    My friend tells me I probably need an EXT2 partition. If so, how do I convert the previous file types to an EXT2 partition? ???
    "It's always something!"-Gilda Radner

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Ubuntu 9.10
    « Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 05:17:59 PM »
    Lots of partition problems with 9.10.  It's supposed to install automatically and convert existing partition you choose to EXT3.  I installed to two different computers to it's own hard drive, one installed with no issues, the other refused to see drive and format to EXT3.  9.04 installed without issues and then upgraded to 9.10 with no issues.  Probably best to run Live CD and never install.

spock

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 09:12:10 AM »
      I have a friend who managed to get the Ubuntu installed into the partition. The hard drive is partitioned with Windows XP, Vista, a blank partition and Ubuntu. It comes up automatically to Windows XP, but no way to access the other two. I've read something about a Grub booter or something like it.
         Can you enlighten me on this?
      "It's always something!"-Gilda Radner

TheUnixGuy

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 08:55:09 AM »
        Hello,

GNU Grub is a boot loader like LILO. Basically a boot loader is the stuff that you use to select the OS you would like to boot up. The options are shown in a list.
        For more information visit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_GRUB

It is useful when you have a multi-boot system.
        When it rains, most birds head for shelter; Eagle is the only bird that flies above the clouds to avoid rain.