Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Failed to Start- A Recent Hardware or Software Change may be the Cause  (Read 7844 times)

aniketkar94

Topic Starter

Rookie

My friend has a Dell Inspiron 530 running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit (SP2) which he purchased in July 2008. Yesterday, he uniinstalled and reinstalled my Microsoft VX-3000's drivers. Today, it is giving me the error message, "Windows Failed to Start- A Recent Hardware or Software Change Might be the Cause."

It gives him:

/Windows/system32/winload.exe

The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

When he tries to repair using his Dell Repair Disk (for SP1), it gives

Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically.

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
    Problem Signature 01: ExternalMedia
    Problem Signature 02: .0.6001.1800.0.0.0.0
    Problem Signature 03: 0
    Problem Signature 04: 65537
    Problem Signature 05: unknown
    Problem Signature 06: Corrupt bootconfig data.
    Problem Signature 07: 0
    Problem Signature 08: 1
    Problem Signature 09: Fixed partition table.
    Problem Signature 10:1168

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033

Please note that he told me all of this over the phone, so there may be slight mistakes in the error codes. I have a feeling that because his repair disk is for SP1, and he is running SP2, it is not working. I vaguely remember something about "slipstreaming" Windows XP service packs on to older installation disks.

If you could please, along with diagnosing the problem, give me a download link for the Repair Console for Vista SP2 along with instructions on how to use it (as long as its legal)?

Every single time I come to this help community, I get tons of reliable assistance. Thanks a lot!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Vista Slipstream Info...

This is indeed the source of the error messages...you need SP2 minimum.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

aniketkar94

Topic Starter

Rookie

The slipstreaming looks really complicated...the partitioning, reinstalling Vista, burning ISO's, etc. Would this still work if he upgraded to Windows 7?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      Slipstreaming...although looking complicated at first is the way out of this dilemna...

If in fact he decides to just install Win 7 all his data and apps will be gone...

Only he can decide if this is the way to go...

aniketkar94

Topic Starter

Rookie

From the articles, it looks like he needs a working Vista OS to get this going. Currently, his computer is not booting in to Windows, and I believe that the single disk Dell gave him does not include the full version of Vista on it (so he can't reinstall on a new partition).

I'm running Windows 7 on my computer, and I remember that the setup screen has a recovery feature. Will this recover the Vista SP2? I'm just exploring options here.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        No.
        He would have to borrow a Vista DVD...it needs to match the version he has installed.
        Then he can run the Vista repair.

aniketkar94

Topic Starter

Rookie

When my XP computer had partitioning issues, I was told to download the Recovery Console for it. Is there a similar download for Vista? The NeoSmart download is a torrent...which  is usually illegal. Is there a non-torrent download the ISO? My friend has no other computer in his house...so I will be doing the burning.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          Why would he think the Recovery Console would solve the issues ? ?

At any rate Here is the DLoad...

mcdidd

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Familiar
          Hi. I'm the friend that is having the computer issues. I downloaded the file and made the recovery disk. When I boot the disk, it takes me to maybe 5 different options. One of them is "Startup Repair." I pressed it and it searches for problems, but then it says "Startup Repair could not fix these problems automatically." I don't know what to do from here. By the way, the recovery disk looked exactly like the Vista disk that came with my Dell computer. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          By the way, the recovery disk looked exactly like the Vista disk that came with my Dell computer.

How is this possible if it was a download ? ?

You need to borrow a Vista CD...it has to match your installed version.

mcdidd

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Familiar
          What I mean is that when I booted the CD, it took me to a Vista Installation screen, which looked exactly like the installation screen from the actual Vista CD. Also, is there even a CD that has Vista SP2? Also, I have been told by multiple people that my computer can be fixed by removing the hard drive and inserting it into another computer to locate a bug. Is this an option? If yes, I can just take it to a repair shop or take it to someone who is Microsoft Certified.