How do I remove the battery from my laptop computer?
Read First: All laptops are different; however, they usually share similarities when it comes to taking out the main battery. That being said, all of the newer MacBooks from Apple use integrated batteries that generally require service to remove. If you're using a Windows or Linux based laptop, this document should give you a general idea on how to remove its battery.
Removing the battery
- If your laptop is plugged in, either unplug it or disconnect the power cable.
- Turn your laptop over so the bottom is facing up.
- Locate the battery latch on the bottom of the computer. The image shows all the examples of laptop battery latches.
- To remove the battery, slide the latch switch to the opposite side and hold it in that position until the battery is released.
- On some laptops, the battery pops out on its own. On others, you'll need to pull it out gently with the tips of your fingers.
Although most laptops only have one latch, there are some that require you to slide two latches to remove the battery. On these laptops, the latches will still look similar to the examples above, but require you to move both at the same time, usually towards each other.
Finally, there are also some older laptops (IBM laptops) that require the latch to be pulled out and then pushed towards the battery.