John Presper Eckert
Name: John Adam Presper "Pres" Eckert, Jr.
Born: April 9, 1919, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Death: June 3, 1995 (Age: 76)
Computer related contributions
- American electrical engineer and computer pioneer.
- Invented the first general-purpose electronic digital computer (ENIAC) along with John Mauchly.
- Presented the first course in computing topics (the Moore School Lectures)
- Founded the first commercial computer company (the Eckert–Mauchly Computer Corporation)
- Designed the first commercial computer in the U.S., the UNIVAC, which incorporated Eckert's invention of the mercury delay line memory.