Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: OE & Yahoo mail, SNTP is hard to do.  (Read 3573 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
OE & Yahoo mail, SNTP is hard to do.
« on: February 18, 2010, 05:53:38 PM »
OE & Yahoo mail, SNTP is hard to do.
I got it to work, but not the way I would like.
POP3 works OK, using my own  mail server, in this case  mail.geek9pm.com which works  in a normal way
My AT&T DSL documentation says I must use only their SMP serve, not my own.
Theirs is either smtp.yahoo.com or smtp.att.yahoo.com ad I can not find an authoritative sources to confirm this clearly. The AT&T documentation is FUBB.
It seems that OE will not remember my password for the SMTP.

So, my question is this:
Anybody out there know what works right for SMTP using AT&T DSL?

EEVIAC

Re: OE & Yahoo mail, SNTP is hard to do.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 12:53:36 AM »
So, my question is this:
Anybody out there know what works right for SMTP using AT&T DSL?

What ports are you using?

I'm using smtp.att.yahoo.com on port 465..

and pop.att.yahoo.com on port 995..

They're apparently not into using the default ports 110 (pop) and 25 (smtp)...

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 04:30:47 AM »
POP or SMTP doesn't work with Yahoo!, as far as I know, unless you have a Pro account.

EEVIAC

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 09:47:06 AM »
POP or SMTP doesn't work with Yahoo!, as far as I know, unless you have a Pro account.

He's talking about an AT&T DSL line, that uses yahoo eMail services.  I use the same service he does and pop/smtp works fine with it, but not if your using a free web based yahoo account.

AT&T and Yahoo merged.. see here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT&T_Internet_Services

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 01:17:40 PM »
I'm using smtp.att.yahoo.com on port 465..

and pop.att.yahoo.com on port 995..

Right! I get that far and that works.
I also have other e-mail accounts. In OE I can have other POP accoujnts for incoming mail. That works Somebody sends me a message into one of my non-yahoo/att . OK. It comes in. Now I go to make a reply. that is where it gets hard. Yahoo.Att does not like me to use the SMTP for another account.

They expect that the POP and SMTP to be the same. I can receive from other accounts, but I can not reply to other accounts unless I change the address on the other accounts. This is kind of hard to explain. And it is very awkward.

Anyway, it makes it near impossible to correspond to people with another e-mail address. I can receive mail send to my external POP servers.But I can not replay with that account as the origination address. The workaround is to start a replay and then try to switch it to another account so it will get past the Yahoo/Att guad dog.

Understand that they need to monitor SMTP usage. But I did have an account with another company that was more open with SMPT. I could use their server for outgoing even with a different POP name. I dropped that service in favor of ATT to get a lower price.

I do have my own SMTP servers, but I can not use them on my ATT/DSL. I have to go into a web mail account to send out stuff.

Is that a reasonable way to get ATT to allow me SMTP freedom?
Here is the problem.  I was hoping somebody there would know how to do this. I think there is a way, but the documentation is so hard to follow. It is like you go into a restaurant to order a hamburger and they give you a menu with 25 pages.

EEVIAC

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 02:36:44 PM »
It sounds like a matter of jumping through a few configuration hoops.  As you said, there documentation is tedious but may reveal how to set it up. 
Have you tried AT&T tech. support?

I can't see why they would allow pop in from another server, but would not allow smtp out to another server.. However, I've never had my own eMail sever so this type of configuration is a shot in the dark for me, and the possibilities would likely be more evident to someone with experience, having their own eMail server...

EEVIAC

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 03:52:01 PM »
I just had a thought...   We are able to send smtp mail to the regular at&t smtp server, but not to your own server...  I don't know exactly how at&t does it, but they may ask us to use smtp port 465 because that is the port forwarded in their router to the internal smtp server..

So if your own server is behind a router, try opening a port in the router and forward it to tcp port 465 on your server...  Tell the server to listen on port 465 in the software firewall as well, if there is no router... 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 04:02:39 PM by EEVIAC »