Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Annoying Start Up --Windows XP  (Read 3731 times)

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Keep Canada beautiful. Swallow your beer cans.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Annoying Start Up --Windows XP
« on: February 14, 2010, 01:20:56 PM »
Hi and hope someone can help. For a long time now when I boot up I was taken to the black screen where I'm asked where I want Widows to start ( start normally, last good configuration etc.etc.) This was happening approx 30% of the time. Now what's happening is every time I boot up it takes me to a different black page that defaults to; "Start Windows Media Edition" and then the screen with the Windows logo .There the blue bars run across the screen (as they should) but then stop, then the screen goes black and then the page with the logo is back and the blue bars run until completion. After all of this I finally get to my desktop. This latest scenario started after I added !GB of memory and at the same time I installed a new video card. Also recently I had "DragonMaster Jay" debug my PC. Along with this I'm now using PC Tools Firewall Plus instead of Windows firewall ,at his suggestion. In addition to the problems mentioned , once I do get to my desktop it now seems to take a lot longer to get going that before I added the additional memory? Also, for some reason I had to reinstall -- Roxio Creator 8 and --The Print Shop. But, I have not added any additional programs.
 Anyway, any help with all of this would be greatly appreciated.  Thks.

My PC consists of; MOBO Intel Model D945GTP
                             CPU Intel Pentium D CPU 2.8 GHz -- Name Intel Pentium D 820
                             Ram 2GB DDR2 (PC-4300) 1 x1024MB 2 x 512MB
                             OS Widows XP Professional  Service Pack 3  Media Edition

My Anti-Virus is Avast free addition.

cruisin702

Hopeful

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Annoying Start Up --Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 12:09:39 AM »
Your RAM may not be compatible with each other. Is it all the same brand and speed?

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 12:26:40 AM »
Hi and thanks for replying.
I'm not sure about the brand but I took my PC to a Computer (Dealer/Repair Shop). I showed him a print out of what was in my PC as far as memory goes , it's a print out from SIW. It listed 2 x 512MB DDR2 (PC-4300). He told me that actually what was in there was (DDR2 PC-4200) and that's exactly what he added 1GB (DDR2 PC-4200).                           Does 4200 vs 4300 make a difference?

Thank You

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 12:35:39 AM »
That should have been DDR2 (PC 2 -4300). Also I just checked the SIW again and all memory is listed as DDR2 (PC2-4300).

Thks.

cruisin702

Hopeful

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 12:54:23 AM »
PC2-4200 and PC2-4300 are the same. Just a difference in labeling.I usually try to keep my memory matched up with the same brand but the different brands really shouldn't make a difference.
 Removing and installing memory isn't hard. Just make sure your computer is powered down and you touch the case before touching anything inside.
You could try removing the 2 512MB RAM or the 1GB that was added to see if it changes anything.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 08:17:23 AM »
Thanks for replying. What I'm going to do (perhaps as early as tomorrow) is have another 1GB of memory installed. The repair shop that I deal with would prefer that they do the install. Reason being that if it doesn't work properly I'm not out of pocket for the stick. Also there is no charge for the installation. What I'll have them do is; Install the new 1GB and remove the 2- 512MB temporarily to (as you said) see if it makes a difference.

Thanks Again.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 08:30:05 AM »
Hi again. What I should have asked in my last post is; do you have any other suggestions?

cruisin702

Hopeful

• Yes
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 05:46:33 PM »
I don't have any other suggestions at this point although someone else may. Here is the specs for your board as far as memory goes. The memory should be unbuffered, non-ECC memory. If removing the 2 512MB sticks and adding the other 1GB doesn't help you can always put the 2 512MB sticks back in the 2 remaining slots for a total of 3GB of RAM.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 06:06:50 PM »
Hi and thanks for the info. Because this PC sometimes hiccups when booting up (and this has been going on for a long time) I don't expect that removing the 2 x 512's will change much. Mind you it's been hiccuping different than it was before I installed the 1GB. But anyway, I should know more tomorrow. !f it still boots up funny at least I'll have 3GB of memory. I'll post the results after I get this done.

Thks, again.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 06:49:05 PM »
Had the 1GB memory installed today. Hiccup is still there. The tech. said (and I wasn't there) that he removed the 512MB's and didn't see the hiccup when he booted up after installing the 1GB.  But, I don't think that he even knew what I was talking about. Anyway, beside that the PC is running well. 3GB is a whole bunch better that 2 x 512 MB. One of the changes that I was also wondering about at Start-up (and it's no problem just different) is put there (according to the tech.) after running Combofix.  Anyway, if the hiccup causes me any additional concerns ,then I'll play with the memory.
Oh!! Yes. The tech. did a time check and tells me the time that it takes to get to desktop is just fine.