Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't Install router without losing connection  (Read 2872 times)

brucethesmiter

Can't Install router without losing connection
« on: July 03, 2005, 12:47:16 PM »
I'm going insane, everytime I fix a problem with my computer a new one comes up.

I have a Belkin 802.11g router, but whenever I try to connect it I lose my internet connection. The Internet is local area connection 2 using an Arris Touchstone modem, and my router's is local area connection 6 using a broadcom integrated controller. I think the main problem is that the manual says to take the cord connecting the modem to the computer, unplug it from the computer, and plug it into the router. Problem is, my modem is connected to my computer through USB, and there's no USB port on my router, only a phone jack. I should also mention that I got my router a while ago along with a wireless PCI card, and everything installed fine. Then I somehow f'ed up my card, and I haven't been able to fix it until very recently. I guess sometime between the card f'ing up and me fixing it, my router f'ed up. I would really appreciate any help.

2k dummy

Re: Can't Install router without losing connection
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 01:15:53 PM »
Does your computer have a NIC? NIC to router with cat5, router to modem with cat5, modem to phone jack.

brucethesmiter

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 03:21:40 PM »
Is the Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller an NIC?

brucethesmiter

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 07:54:57 PM »
Okay, I tried that and I'm getting the same problem. Whenever the connection to the router is enabled, I lose my internet connection.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 08:44:59 PM »
... Problem is, my modem is connected to my computer through USB, and there's no USB port on my router, only a phone jack. ...

The easiest way to fix the problem may be to purchase a modem expansion card with an RJ-11 "phone" jack and use that instead.  

Regards,
Doc

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 12:42:12 AM »
You may need to reconfigure the router after it has been connected. You can often access routers by typing 192.168.1.1 in the adress bar of any browser.

repairing your connection may also be necessary.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 12:42:33 AM by Raptor »