Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Which one: The Graphics or Power supply?  (Read 3379 times)

PChelpp

Topic Starter

Rookie

Which one: The Graphics or Power supply?
    « on: February 17, 2010, 07:07:19 PM »
    Which one: The Graphics or Power supply?
    Well, I was playing a pc game, and I tuned the settings on my graphics card, and wen into my game to find the hair and trees to be glowing green boxes. I changed the in-game settings to medium and it went away. I also set the card settings to default. I was wondering what's the problem: The power supply or the graphics card itself.

itself: http://www.slashgear.com/gateway-fx6800-01e-review-intel-core-i7-nehalem-powered-gaming-rig-0221147/
    One review said that the graphics card was under-electrically powered, so that would be a reason why. Would I have to buy a new card, or buy a larger power supply to get it working again? Thanks :)

OH BTW:   The PC has a 4 pin power supply, is it possible to install an 8 pin power supply?   ( Such as this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153106&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Power+Supplies-_-Thermaltake-_-17153106)

t_blake07

Apprentice
      Re: Which one: The Graphics or Power supply?
      « Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 07:37:15 PM »
      I would say the 4850 is the culprit, but that might depend on the PSU that is currently in you PC. 450W, as stated, is barely enough to power everything in your system. And on top of that it doesn't even have the correct 8 pin connector. This statement is based on the owner review. It says the motherboard needs a 8 pin connector, and the PSU only provides a 4 pin.

Doesn't your 4850 need a 6 pin PCI Express power connection from the PSU? If so, that PSU might not work. The 8 pin is there on that PSU, but you still need the 6 pin PCI Express connection. Which shouldn't be hard to find on a new, quality PSU.

PChelpp

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 07:44:34 PM »
         Ok thanks :)  could you help a novice out by giving a link to a sturdy psu that would run my card.  ALSO, if I bought a psu able to run everything, would my card continue to work?

t_blake07

Apprentice
          « Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 07:51:36 PM »
          Ok thanks :)  could you help a novice out by giving a link to a sturdy psu that would run my card.  ALSO, if I bought a psu able to run everything, would my card continue to work?

Yes. A higher wattage PSU with a 6 pin PCI Express connection and a 8 pin power connection would power everything in your PC.

This isn't to say that the card itself isn't the problem though. It's a decent card, but not high end. Guess it depends on what games you're playing on this PC.

t_blake07

Apprentice
            « Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 09:54:12 PM »
            This PSU has a 4+4 EPS 12V Connector. Which means it will work with a 4 pin OR a 8 pin power connection on a motherboard. Which ever one you need. It also has 4 PCI Express connectors. Two are 6 pin, and two are 6+2 pin. (Some higher end video cards use 8 pin power connections) Your 4850 takes a 6 pin so you're covered there, and if you ever decide to upgrade your video card, you'll have the connections to do it without worrying. It's a really nice PSU. Plenty of power, and plenty of connectors.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153117