Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Do I have a problem with Superantispyware?  (Read 3257 times)

Bobh

Do I have a problem with Superantispyware?
« on: February 18, 2010, 01:47:54 PM »
Hi -
I run Superanti spyware every week or two.  The last couple of times I ran it, it seemed strange.  Thus - Memory items - scanned 595 - Detected 0
                                       Registry items - scanned 5879 - Detected 0
                                       File items - scanned 170257 - Detected 330
At this point the program has ran for 2 hours and it seems to be stuck in a loop.  It is running but no more items are scanned because the number never changes.  I let it run for 2 more hours but nothing else changed.  The 330 threats found were adware tracking cookies.
My question is: Is this normal operation or is something wrong?
I am running vista Home Basic   32 bit     Thanks    Bob

jkolak

Hopeful
    Re: Do I have a problem with Superantispyware?
    « Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 04:00:38 AM »
    I was having similar problems.

Note the name of the file that is being scanned when it hangs for a clue as to what is causing the problem.

Also check your Process Manager CPU usage and see if another process is contending against SAS. Once I saw something that was rising and falling in comparison to SAS, i.e., CPU usage was always 100%, so whenever SAS dropped some percentage points, the other process rose to pick up the slack so that CPU usage never dropped before 100%.

I was able to use a Quick Scan to get the scan to complete. One item was detected and cleaned with this method.

Then try a Complete Scan. You might try limiting it to Drive C: to start with.

I was also able to get it past the sticking point with a Safe Mode scan.

You can also try scanning with another product like MalwareBytes Anti-Malware first.

Bobh

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 05:05:51 AM »
    jkolak -
    Thanks for the information.  The next time I run my security I will try your suggestions.  I'm also glad to know that I had a problem and it was not just my imagination.  Thanks    Bob

jkolak

Hopeful
      « Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 08:32:02 AM »
      You're welcome.

Let us know how it works out.

Bobh

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 02:14:54 PM »
      jkolak -
      Thanks to you I think everything is OK.   I ran a quick scan.  It ran for about an hour and found and removed 180 adware tracking cookies and said the scan was complete.   Once in a while when I turn the computer on it comes up very slow.  Before the word "welcome" comes up I get a black screen with the pointer showing.  It takes 1 minute and 20 seconds for the screen to go to "welcome".   I have found that if I run Superantispyware it does away with the black screen and works normanly.  I assume that one of the adware tracking cookies is causing the black screen. 
      I saved a print of all your suggestions and will use them if necessary.  Thanks   Bob

Bobh

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 06:49:03 PM »
      jkolak -
      After I ran a quick scan, the black screen after the "welcome"  sign came back.  So I ran the SAS in safe mode.  This time it ran to completion and it apparently eliminated the problem with the black screen.  I thank you for your help.   Bob

jkolak

Hopeful
        « Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 02:21:51 AM »
        Good. I'm glad it worked out!