Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reviving the dead  (Read 6727 times)

Sirwhinesalot

Topic Starter

Rookie

Reviving the dead
    « on: February 18, 2010, 02:19:21 PM »
    I have a windows xp desktop,  givin to me, it was DOA,   replaced motherboard,new memory stick.
    Power up the machine, fans all run, green light is lit on motherboard.
    I cannot seem to get it to start and give me a screen to work with.
    A red light is on, on the front of the machine, green light does not come on.
    How do i by a process of elimination find the problem?      If i plug in the cd rom drive the lights come on  but cant open the door unless i disconnect the grey ribbon cable then it opens.

Salmon Trout

Re: Reviving the dead
    « Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 03:41:37 PM »
    Assuming that the memory is compatible with the motherboard, you only have the power supply and the processor left. Replace the cheaper item first. If the PC now works, you got lucky. If it doesn't, and you then buy the other item, by now you have a new PC in an old case. I hope it wasn't a Dell, and you put a non-Dell motherboard in there?

Sirwhinesalot

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 04:19:12 PM »
      I replaced the motherboard with the same exact model that was in it. No it was not a Dell.
      I now have another Hard drive coming.
      If the power supply was bad, what would the symptoms be. It seems that all of the (Hotwires are hot)
      i can hook  the cd  drive up it has power, also the a drive has power and so does the hard drive. 
      I just cant get it through  to the video so the screen will come up.
      Thanks for your help!!!!

xavier

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 06:00:52 PM »
      Recheck all the power connections to the board

Sirwhinesalot

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 10:34:34 AM »
        Replaced the hard drive. still have the same problem. No screen. How can the power supply be bad if the fans are running mother board has green light. All the power leads are  live??   Any Suggestions?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 11:39:35 AM »
        How can the power supply be bad if the fans are running mother board has green light. All the power leads are  live??

The motherboard and other circuitry is a lot more intolerant of deviant voltages then a fan or LED.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 11:58:07 AM »
        ...How can the power supply be bad if the fans are running mother board has green light. All the power leads are  live??   Any Suggestions?
        That only accounts for 2 voltages (fans are +12VDC, green light is +5V, Standby).  That leaves +3.3V, +5V.
        http://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/ATX_Pinout

Sirwhinesalot

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 01:36:26 PM »
          Okay Gentleman, I will heed your input and advise, Much appreciated.    So you promise this is the last thing i will have to buy before  I  tie it to the back of my F350 and drag it?

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 03:33:25 PM »
          No promises...but i like the idea,
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Sirwhinesalot

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 03:54:14 PM »
             >:(  Power supply has been installed, most definitely was one of the problems,  Machine powers up. Gives 3 beeps, still nothing on the screen to work with.   So far everything has been replaced. I even tried the old mother board, the old hard drive old memory  and still gives me 3 beeps.  Its not going past the self test is it?  Whats my next move guys,   the tow rope is laying next to it,  that will be my next option

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 04:31:32 PM »
              While it has been determined that your problem computer is NOT a Dell we still do not know what it IS. Beeps vary from computer to computer so that can be important to enable what the beeps are telling you. Here is a link to a beep analyzer site that may help you. http://en.kioskea.net/faq/344-how-to-recognize-beep-errors.
              By the way i don't know if a Ford 350 will be adequate for the job--might want to borrow a GM 250. goodluck ,truenorth

Computer_Commando

Hacker
              • Experience: Expert
              « Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 04:56:46 PM »
              ...So far everything has been replaced...
              Please define "everything".  You must be using one of the original components.

Sirwhinesalot

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 05:57:56 AM »
                By everything I mean,  All components are replaced with  different ones.  Used power supply, used hard drive, used motherboard.  New Ram memory from best buy. These components are duplicates to what was  originally in the machine.  The only Identification on the shell of the  machine is NOBILIS. windows XP home edition .  By different I mean I bought all new/ used stuff from other people.  From Ebay, which I have never been soaked yet. I purchase many things from others.    I am not useing anything that originally was in it.  I thin the power supply and motherboard were definitely some of the issues.
                I was going to give up but now its a challenge that I cant back down from.   With the help of You Smart people I am confident that  this thin g will not kick my A%$.

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 08:50:30 AM »
                Are you sure the new RAM is what that MBoard takes ? ?
                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Sirwhinesalot

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 09:44:20 AM »
                  Yes I bought the same part number as the original one.   I also put the old one back in same result, 3 beeps. I disconnected all unnecessary  parts.  (a drive ,cd rom    allplugs in the back .