Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP DESKTOP PROBLEM  (Read 2754 times)

graham001

XP DESKTOP PROBLEM
« on: July 04, 2005, 07:13:57 AM »
Help Please
Windows XP Home; Works 6.0; Office XP Pro; !.0 Meg RAM;
I was trying to create something useing MS Works. The create wizard seemed to be very slow, so I re-clicked the 'next' a few times. None of the wizard offerings looked good, so I decided to close Works and create what I needed in Word. Having closed Works, a new instance of Works re-launched itself. I closed it, only for it to re-launch. I used Ctrl Alt Delete to bring up the Task Manager and closed Works from here- but once again Works reloaded. This was repeated a few times but Works kept reloading, so I swiched off mains power and rebooted. From the log on screen, I clicked my name, After a delay my desktop apeared - but just my wallpaper, no taskbar, no shortcuts, nothing. I have tried System Restore - but this does not bring back my desktop. The other users settings are unaffected. So Can anyone advise how I can get my desktop back?
Your help will be much appreciated.
Graham.

wes420

Re: XP DESKTOP PROBLEM
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 07:54:50 AM »
if u have created a boot disk this is where it comes in handy if not then there are several ways to restore .An easy way is to put the cd in and reformat but if u have anything on the cpu u dont wont to lose than this wont work. if u dont have the cd handy. then u can  take the tower off and this is something u do with the cpu unplugged ,there is 3 litlle i mean little prong like spikes about half an inch with a little plastic cover over too of them u can lift it and slip it over the right 2 pins and it will reset it to the manufactor origanal settings other then that i dont know any other way but im just a newbeie i dont know jack ;D
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 07:58:31 AM by wes420 »

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 08:37:09 AM »
1. Before Windows XP loads, press F8
2. Select last known good configuration

Mac

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 10:10:49 AM »
Hom much RAM is that again, 128, 256, 512 or 1024Mb?

Can you scan the drive for virii & Trojans?

graham_999

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2005, 12:27:09 PM »
Add;
I think I mean't 1GB ram, not 1MG. sorry.
Norton not reporting anything new.
Graham.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 01:56:10 PM »
    Can you start in safe mode?

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2005, 03:23:25 PM »
    Add;
    I think I mean't 1GB ram, not 1MG. sorry.
     Norton not reporting anything new.
    Graham.

Have you done as I suggested?

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2005, 04:31:34 PM »
    When you switched your pc off via the power button....chdsk should have appeared? try mac suggestion......scan for trojans.......<norton does not  always pick these up!....
    « Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 04:31:51 PM by merlin_2 »

Mac

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2005, 12:37:46 PM »
    You should be using SpyBot SD, AdAware SE and SpywareBlaster on your system.

Can you get on-line to run a scan from Trend Micro's Housecall, or can you download McAfee's Stinger to a floppy and give that a run?