Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: If I bought A new PSU, would this fix....  (Read 4407 times)

PChelpp

Topic Starter

Rookie

If I bought A new PSU, would this fix....
    « on: February 19, 2010, 06:47:46 PM »
      My ATI Radeon™ HD 4870 is electronically underpowered b/c my pc only has 450 watts, while it's recommended at 550.    I'd open up games like Sims 3, and  I always played on the highest of high settings for that game, and until recently, I decided to alter the factory settings on my graphics card.  I set the card settings all the way up, and when I go in game, the trees and hair are glowing green boxes.  If I was to buy a better power supply, would this issue go away?   Also, what are some symptoms to know about a failing graphics card? 

PC Specs: http://www.slashgear.com/gateway-fx6800-01e-review-intel-core-i7-nehalem-powered-gaming-rig-0221147/  Read the bottom comment.

YaMeZ

Re: If I bought A new PSU, would this fix....
    « Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 06:48:55 PM »
    lol u know my suggestion... luck with this.

EEVIAC

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 07:37:05 PM »
    According to this, using your card at it's max. settings will draw 160 watts from the PSU...

If you don't want to listen to the technical recommendations you should at least use a power supply calculator to figure out just how much power your computer really needs.. A power supply calculator would be more effective because it will take into consideration ALL components in your computer... 

When you purchase a PSU, pay attention to the 12 volt rail and how many amps. are available on that rail, because that is the rail your graphics card will use.  If you card is drawing 160 watts (at max. settings), @ 12 volts, would draw 13 Amps from the 12v rail.  You new PSU must include 13 available amps for the vid. card + amperage available for the other components that use the 12 volt rail.. Such as the CPU, hard drive moters, fans, optical drive moters..

Based on the information you've given, I'd say that you're overdrawing your supply, and the card is fine..

You might try downloading some diagnostics software for the card, from the manufacturer to test the card, or plug it into another computer to see what kind of performance you get..

PChelpp

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 07:43:42 PM »
         So if I buy a 600-750 watt psu, I will be able to have the highest graphic settings? *Sweet*   I'm planning on getting a better psu because it's my birthday in a month.  Oh btw, what could be a reason games won't work unless I rrun them from an FPS limiter?

EEVIAC

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 07:49:06 PM »
      Oh btw, what could be a reason games won't work unless I rrun them from an FPS limiter?

Most likely because your card is underpowered... But I'm not a huge gamer so you might want to get another opinion on that..

See my previous post... I added more info. on power supply considerations..

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 07:50:02 PM »
      If you think the PSU is not doing enough, here are some tips.
      1. remove or unplug  any thing you do not need to play the game. Like the floppy drive, it takes a few watts just setting there doing nothing. And the CD-ROM drive, if the game can run from Hard drive alone.
      2. Check the voltages with a good digital voltmeter while you play a game. If the voltage is very close t o the requirement your PSU is doing fine.

Also, check you voltage coming out of the wall. In North America is should be 120 VAC or higher. In South America, 230 VAC.

t_blake07

Apprentice
        « Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 09:03:02 PM »
        Did you forget about your last topic you posted on this same issue?

According to the Specs in the link you provided, the card is a 4850, not a 4870.

The person who posted that comment also said that there is more than one issue with that 450W (550W) PSU. Not only is it inefficient, but the motherboard requires a 8 pin power connection. The PSU only provides a 4 pin.

In your other post I gave a link to a good PSU that has all the connections you will need for the motherboard and the video card.

PChelpp

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 08:55:20 AM »
          Thanks, I did see that, but I still wasn't sure whether if a new PSU would help my card because you said that the card could be the problem.  However I don't know how to identify that.

t_blake07

Apprentice
            « Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 02:49:27 PM »
            There's always the possibility the card is faulty. But considering the PC isn't old, and the PSU is not a good PSU, I would upgrade that as soon as possible anyways. It sounds like you need a new PSU regardless of whether or not the video card is having issues.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 04:55:35 PM »
            I just looked up the specs for his card.
            He should get a new PSU.  :o

t_blake07

Apprentice
              « Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 05:33:21 PM »
              I just looked up the specs for his card.
              He should get a new PSU.  :o

I agree. A new power supply is going to make his system more stable. Then if he still has an issue, it should be easier to identify. Power supplies are what powers a system. Why Gateway decided to put this PSU in this gaming PC, i'll never understand. Maybe it's just a spare collection they had lying around. But what gets me, is that the motherboard requires a PSU with a 8 pin power connection. This PSU only has a 4 pin.

PChelpp

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 06:20:41 PM »
                    I am hopefully getting a new PSU soon, but would the PSU that you linked to in my other post still be fine even though it's only 6-pin, rather than the 8-pin?

t_blake07

Apprentice
                  « Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 07:49:43 PM »
                      I am hopefully getting a new PSU soon, but would the PSU that you linked to in my other post still be fine even though it's only 6-pin, rather than the 8-pin?

The link is to a PSU that has the following connections:

(1) 4+4 12V power connection (4 or 8 pin, for power to motherboard)
                  (2) 6 pin PCI Express (the connection you need for your ATI Card)
                  (2) 6+2 pin PCI Express (good to have incase you decide to upgrade your card)

The 4+4 pin is the connection to your motherboard. 4+4 means you can either use one 4 pin connection, or both for a total of 8 pin. Which ever your board requires. According to the person who posted a comment in your link, the motherboard has a 8 pin.

The 6 pin goes to your ATI card. The card requires power directly from the PSU.

Hope this makes things a little more clear.  ;)
                  « Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 07:59:51 PM by t_blake07 »

PChelpp

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 09:34:52 AM »
                     The only thing I'm worried about is buying a psu and having it not be the problem.   I would have to wait or save up money to buy a graphics card. :(

patio

• Genius
                    • Maud' Dib
                      • Yes
                    • Experience: Beginner
                    « Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 10:00:26 AM »
                    The only thing I'm worried about is buying a psu and having it not be the problem.   I would have to wait or save up money to buy a graphics card. :(

Then borrow a known good PSU with the requirements you need...you will know overnight if it solves the issue or not...
                    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "