Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lime Wire problems  (Read 2740 times)

adrienne

Lime Wire problems
« on: February 20, 2010, 09:39:46 PM »
Hi i'm having some connection problems with limewire. There are no bars coming up at the bottom. I have checked that limewire is on my firewall exemption list and it is already ticked. I have tried uninstallig and dowloading older versions but it still isnt working. It has only been like this for less than a month...
Please help!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Lime Wire problems
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 10:29:06 PM »
Check with Your local provider.
They  may either block LimeWire or reduce its speed. :'(

For a brief history of LimeWire past and present, look at this:
http://news.cnet.com/1770-5_3-0.html?query=limewire+news&searchtype=news

ozalbundy

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 11:27:40 PM »
    Having used Limewire in the past i maybe able to help. You are thinking in the right direction when you checked your firewall, as it is being "blocked" from making it's connection.
    What connection are you,,adsl,broadband,cable,satellite, then how are you connected via type of modem or are you using a "router". You have have a NAT problem if it is a router. Check your routers settings and allow Nat settings.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 08:16:23 AM »
    You have have a NAT problem if it is a router. Check your routers settings and allow Nat settings.
    ???

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 01:24:37 PM »
         Peer-to-Peer file sharing issues

If you run a Peer-to-Peer (P2P) file sharing system such as KaZaA, Morpheus, Grokster, Gnutella, LimeWire, WinMX, or eDonkey2000, you may expect the following problems unless you make specific configuration changes:

* your cable modem connection will be continually hitting the rate cap, leading to apparent poor bandwidth for other applications;
        * your ping times will look bad;
        * your traceroutes will look bad, even on the very first hop to the local UBR;
        * your online games will show terrible latency;
        * your firewall might detect hundreds or thousands of incoming connection attempts;
        * if your PC is behind a NAT router, the P2P application might not work properly.

Be aware that most P2P systems will run in the background even when their window is not open. Because of their P2P nature, they are capable of loading your cable connection even when you are not downloading files: other users might be causing your PC to be uploading to them, or your PC might be acting as a SuperNode server, passing on search requests from other P2P clients.

The problem of hitting the rate cap is the same in nature as that described for on-line gaming. The P2P application sees a network connection via an ethernet or USB interface and assumes a fast network such as a LAN. It does not realise that the cable modem connection will impose a rate cap. As soon as P2P traffic hits the rate cap (especially the upload rate cap), ping times will go through the roof, and other applications will suffer. The general strategy to avoid this is....
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/p2p.html
    8)