Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: KVM Switch Question?  (Read 2275 times)

tomshope

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    KVM Switch Question?
    « on: February 22, 2010, 03:21:40 PM »
    I just installed a Emine 2-Port PS/2 KVM Switch w/Cables on my xp pcs
    now when I start and switch over to the second pc it switches over ok, but ALL I get is all my programs come up In Notepad as .exe's
    I cannot start anything it just keeps bringing up Notepad.ex's
    It is a clean pc(no virus's etc) and it was running pefectly before hooking up the kvm switch.
    Can anyone enlighten me as to what could be wrong, is the switch no good?

jkolak

Hopeful
      Re: KVM Switch Question?
      « Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 03:36:16 PM »
      I run a KVM, and I can't see how it could be the cause of your issues, unless a defective one could be seriously messing up the keyboard or mouse inputs. But I still don't see what kind of KB or mouse input would explain that behavior.

Did you receive a driver disk with it? I wonder if you got a counterfeit one with malware. Mine uses no driver. Just hook up and it works.

What happens if you remove the KVM and just switch your mouse, keyboard, and monitor manually between them? Do both computers work okay without the KVM?

Just for fun, try to right click on one of the .exe's for the Properties box. Does it show Notepad as the default application to open it?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 03:38:26 PM »
      Be good to know also if the 2nd machine was having any issues prior to this...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

tomshope

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 03:17:46 AM »
        Solved,  I found a fix using this>>>

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/exeasso.htm

It now works perfectly. dont know what  caused it in the first place but it must have something to do with that switch, pc was runnng ok before and No virus etc. oh well, atleast it works now, Thank You All, Tom

jkolak

Hopeful
          « Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 07:08:08 AM »
          That's not a KVM issue, it's a file association issue. You can use your KVM.