Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wiped computer won't start  (Read 2293 times)

Kaderina

Wiped computer won't start
« on: July 04, 2005, 05:03:12 PM »
I'm sure this has come up before but I will ask and perhaps someone can point me in the right direction to tell me what to do.

We have an old computer that we were going to give to a family member as we upgraded to a new system running Windows XP.

My husband cleaned out all the games and information on the old computer.  It was running on Windows ME.  Now when we originally purchased this older computer, it came with no disc's for backup or restore.  I didn't think much about that then other than this must be a way for Microsoft to control piracy.

Since the major delete, the computer will not start up and we just get a blue screen.  Is there anywhere where we can download a system restore for this computer or is it junk now?  Any information is greatly appreciated.

Raptor

Re: Wiped computer won't start
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 05:06:10 PM »
Code: [Select]
I didn't think much about that then other than this must be a way for Microsoft to control piracy.

Not quite related. - it is not a form of piracy control, you perhaps simply did not pay enough for an OS/restore cd to be included. However, this is rather strange as every [new] PC that comes with an operating system should also come with a serial number.

You may wish to inspect the computer case for a serial number. With this serial number, you can simply obtain any Windows ME disk and enter the serial number to install the contents.

Have you reformatted the HDD or did you simply remove too many files?

Try the following:

1. Before Windows ME loads, press F8
2. Select safe mode

Can you still access safe mode?

Kaderina

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 05:26:09 PM »
Just went digging in a place that my husband suggested and bingo, found a restore disc.  Thanks anyway.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 05:32:06 PM »
Arh it would have still loaded winme.......without the disk ;) and it would have been legal......
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 05:32:30 PM by merlin_2 »