Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No access to desktop  (Read 3605 times)

jimv

Topic Starter

No access to desktop
    « on: March 25, 2010, 11:35:14 AM »
    Last evening between 9 and 10pm PST I have contracted a bug on my HP Pavilion model a1767c running Vista Home Premium and no added  anti-virus software (I know, I know… but I haven’t had an issue in 2 years!). Here are the symptoms:  Upon start-up, it allows me to select the user for his/her desktop but once selection has  occurred, a “virus protection” screen comes up and it looks like it is scanning the machine and detecting viruses—this occupies the entire screen…it even has a 4 color shield logo at the top left corner!!!. There are two buttons on this screen( pause and stop) the stop button stops the “scan” but shortly after a pop-up window appears. The pause button also takes you to this pop-up window. This pop-up indicates that this is not a problem that can’t be fixed …this pop-up also has 2 buttons (register and remind me later). The register button takes you to a payment screen requesting credit card info etc. for a fee of $49.95. I believe the “remind me later “button takes you back to the original “virus protection” screen. I can’t reduce the size of this “screen” to exit so I’m in an endless loop as long as the machine is on.
    I have attempted to get to get to a previous restore point but am unable to get access to a desktop, only to the above mentioned screen even after pressing F11 and starting in safe mode.
    This is where I believe I contracted this bug  http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=124152
    Could you help a frustrated user?
    Thanks in advance,
    jim

jtlucas74

Greenhorn

Re: No access to desktop
      « Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 03:48:57 PM »
      I think I have the same problem. My wife told me it was a desktop trojan virus. I get the same scanning screen and then when I click on the continue button it goes to a screen where it is charging 80-100 dollars for a removal program. I can't get to any of my desktop icons. I too am looking for some help.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 03:50:19 PM »
      jt - you should start your own thread. And both you and jim should follow the instructions here: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

jtlucas74

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 03:54:10 PM »
        can I get access to the internet through safe mode? that's what I don't know about.

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 03:57:38 PM »
        jt - you should start your own thread. And both you and jim should follow the instructions here: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

jimv

Topic Starter

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 05:40:34 PM »
          Allan,
           If I can't get to the start menu ,because of the bug, how can I  load an anti-virus program to follow the instructions from evilfantasy?

jim