Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer wont start  (Read 2659 times)

Chris P

Computer wont start
« on: July 04, 2005, 06:26:00 PM »
Hi, basically I have a computer which turns on begins to load and then stops leaving me with the options to load in safe mode or restore last knwon good configuration.
Using either of these results in a restart followed shortly by the smae scenario again.  I Think there may be a problem with the hard drive page file?  Does anybody know how i can fix this or access any of the data stored on the hard drive/

Thanks Chris

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Computer wont start
    « Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 01:03:46 AM »
    It sure does sound like a hard drive data problem.
    To get the message you are obviously getting to the beginning of windows on the drive but after your selections it can't fully load anyway.
    What OS?

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 04:55:15 AM »
    laptop//////desktop....more info required

Are those the options given?                                  (safe mode or restore last knwon good configuration)

Do you have the install disk?

Chris P

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 05:00:36 PM »
    Using XP Home, bougt from pc world a while back so just have the ghost disk.  Its a desktop.  The optiont are safe mode, safe mode with dos, safe mode with networking, start with last known good configuration and normal start.  All of these result in the xp loading screen and then an immediate restart and then the above options again.

I have been unable to access the hard drive.  The message given when trying to open the c drive is that there is a pagein fiel error.

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 05:11:51 PM »
    start windows at the cmd prompt........type chdsk

Chris P

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 10:01:16 AM »
    How do i start windwos in cmd prompt with windows xp?
    When i use the load xp with cmd prompt option the computer restarts as with all the other options.  You want me to start it with a system disk and use check disk?

merlin_2