Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: questions about antispyware apps  (Read 3321 times)

BobLewiston

Topic Starter

Beginner

questions about antispyware apps
    « on: March 09, 2010, 06:14:12 AM »
    I have some questions about antispyware apps:

1. I know you're not supposed to run 2 antivirus apps at once, but that you CAN run 2 scanner-only antispyware apps at once. But should you not run 2 real-time-protection antispyware apps at once?

2. Other than the fact that spyware "spies", just what is the difference between a virus and a spyware app? In other words, why can you run one antivirus app at the same time as a real-time-protection antispyware app?

3. Do all antispyware that offer real-time protection constantly run in the background to prevent the installation of malware, whenever an attempt is made to open a file or launch an application? Do they all also offer manual and/or scheduled system scans?

4. Does Comodo AntiVirus + Firewall include antispyware functionality?

5. Does Spyware Terminator include antivirus functionality?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: questions about antispyware apps
    « Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 06:19:22 AM »
    I have some questions about antispyware apps:

1. I know you're not supposed to run 2 antivirus apps at once, but that you CAN run 2 scanner-only antispyware apps at once. But should you not run 2 real-time-protection antispyware apps at once?

There is no reason to have more than one antispyare app resident at any given time. Use either MalwareBytes or Super AntiSpyware if you want the current best of breed. You may scan with as many different apps as you like (though not simultaneously).

2. Other than the fact that spyware "spies", just what is the difference between a virus and a spyware app? In other words, why can you run one antivirus app at the same time as a real-time-protection antispyware app?

http://www.squidoo.com/spyware-vs-virus

3. Do all antispyware that offer real-time protection constantly run in the background to prevent the installation of malware, whenever an attempt is made to open a file or launch an application? Do they all also offer manual and/or scheduled system scans?

Yes, real time protection requires the program to "run in the background" (or remain resident). You can schedule full scans with most good ones. Again, MalwareBytes & Super AntiSpyware would be my recommendation(s).

4. Does Comodo AntiVirus + Firewall include antispyware functionality?

Don't know - have you visited their website?

5. Does Spyware Terminator include antivirus functionality?

No idea, but it would not be my first choice (see above).