Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Memory or Motherboard issue?  (Read 17620 times)

hodges91

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Memory or Motherboard issue?
    « Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 10:22:49 AM »
    According to Crucial, this computer also supports non-ECC memory, DDR PC2700 (or higher) which is readily available.  Your IT department may some.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=PowerEdge%201750

Thank you for this information... I'll end up going to their Dept to ask myself because emails seem to not appear to them.

hodges91

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 03:06:30 PM »
      IT doesn't have any similar memory modules which just boggles my mind at this point... Tried the memory in a Sony Vaio that I found in our storage and no luck. It was posting with incorrect memory.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 12:07:08 PM »
      ... Tried the memory in a Sony Vaio that I found in our storage and no luck. It was posting with incorrect memory.
      "from" or "in"?  The memory from the Dell server is DDR-ECC and won't work many computers.  DDR-nonECC is a lot more common.  Computers made in the last 5 years or so, no longer use DDR; they use DDR2 or DDR3.  DDR memory is 2 to 3X the cost of DDR2 because they just did not make it for very long.

hodges91

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 08:46:07 AM »
        Sorry for it being so long that I have not replied - been busy with lab management and midterms. The blade was made in January 2004, it still uses DDR, like you said. But I've tried it both ways. Server memory in the VIAO and VIAO memory in the server. No go.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 09:11:24 AM »
        ...The blade was made in January 2004, it still uses DDR, like you said. But I've tried it both ways. Server memory in the VIAO and VIAO memory in the server. No go...
        Server memory in the VIAO not working is expected.
        VIAO memory in the server not working indicates the server is the problem.  Probably why it was donated.

hodges91

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 05:14:38 PM »
          I was thinking the same but wasn't confident on the thought. Not sure if the RAM was stock on the VAIO, however it was a simple pair of 512MB DDR SDRAM modules. I would expect that to work in the blade, correct?