Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: motherboard is confused!  (Read 2155 times)

mrcwneal

Topic Starter

motherboard is confused!
    « on: February 24, 2010, 06:45:24 PM »
    Hello,
    my motherboard is detecting my primary master, (hard drive) as IDE (it is SATA)and my 3rd master, CDROM as ATAPI (it is IDE), how can I get the motherboard to correctly identify my hardware connections? ( it will not boot or enter bios settings)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: motherboard is confused!
    « Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 06:51:05 PM »
    A SATA hard drive can be seen by the BIOS as an IDE drive depending on how it was initially setup...

Most optical drives will be recognised as ATAPI no matter if they are IDE or SATA drives so no worry there...

Why are you fishing around in the BIOS and is this why it will not boot ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 02:13:42 AM »
    re: ATAPI: IDE is really just another name for ATA and ATAPI stands for ATA-PI, or AT-Attachment Programmed IO.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

mrcwneal

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 07:09:50 AM »
      A SATA hard drive can be seen by the BIOS as an IDE drive depending on how it was initially setup...

Most optical drives will be recognised as ATAPI no matter if they are IDE or SATA drives so no worry there...

Why are you fishing around in the BIOS and is this why it will not boot ? ?
      First thank you for your response, ok i began to have problems with the pc, it had become unstable, so following advice from the microsoft site, i re-installed the os,it seemed solve the problem of unstability however the fan began racing and upon reboot it would not allow cd/dvd repair due to "checksum(s) not matching", so i abandoned the cd method, ran chk dsk and 2 passes with mem diag. tool (no prob. with either), restarted and it would not boot at all! the error said the HAL DLL was missing or corrupt. so i puchased a new hard drive and am now at this point, upon powering up, the screen looks like this:

GATEWAY

INTEL                                        BOOT options F10
                                                                      BIOS settings F2
      it will not go past that screen and pressing either option does nothing, restarting w/ ctrl+alt+del then pressing f2 brought up a new screen, "boot agent" and that is where i saw the connections in my original post, if i have somehow pushed the wrong button at the wrong time and all is lost i would be crushed so i hope there is a solution to this problem.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 07:39:37 AM »
      Checksum errors can be caused by a weak /failing CMOS battery...replace it.
      Part #CR2032 available anywhere...

Unplug all power to the machine for installation.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "