Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Missing boot manager  (Read 3330 times)

brooksinn

Missing boot manager
« on: March 02, 2010, 05:15:32 PM »
HP Pavillion dv4 (4 meg ram, 250 g HD,  Windows Vista Home Prem. sp1, 64 bit 2.hz)

I used the original HP recovery CD to restore my HP pavillion to its original state and after its last reboot in says "missing boot manager" press ctrl/alt/del to restart. this just returns to this screen.
I called HP and they had me reload the recovery CD again. I got the same response. they then told me my hard drive was bad, and had me reboot to the bios and run a hard drive test. It was just fine. They then told me the problem was in the motherboard and they would send me a box to return and repair the laptop under warranty.

I believe the problem is or was the recovery disk but they said no. My laptop worked fine, I just wanted to go back to the out of the box configuration.

killerb255

Adviser
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Missing boot manager
    « Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 06:42:27 PM »
    They could be right or they could be wrong.

Missing boot manager in Vista/7 is similar to missing NTLDR in XP.  It could be a bad hard drive, a corrupt boot sector, or a number of other things.

Try this:

1) Borrow someone's Vista or 7 PC, preferably one with at least a CD burner.
    2) Burn a copy of Windows RE by going into Start -> All Programs -> Maintenance -> Create a System Repair Disk.
    3) Follow instructions/wizards.
    4) Boot to your computer from the disc you created.
    5) Select "Repair my computer."  Usually, this will automatically repair a jacked-up BCD database and allow you to boot up again...
    Quote from: talontromper
    Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.