Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Graphic Card Woes  (Read 6232 times)

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Keep Canada beautiful. Swallow your beer cans.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Graphic Card Woes
« on: March 01, 2010, 12:50:54 PM »
About two weeks ago I replaced my video card from a 3DF 6200LE (128MB) to a GeForce 210 (512MB). Things went well until today. Today I got the Fatal Error Blue Screen several times. I checked to make sure that I had the latest driver for the card and I did. Reading the warning that comes with the Blue Screen they advise; get latest driver, reduce acceleration to lowest point and contact manufacturer. I contacted the manufacturer and they suggested getting latest driver for chipset(which I think I did) and for the BIOS. After getting the Blue Screen the second time(after installing chipset driver) I reduced the acceleration. Since then(and it's only been a while) things appear normal except the warnings from NVIDIA on boot up,(acceleration shut down). Here's where I'm certainly out of my league, updating BIOS. After reading the warnings I'm quite apprehensive. Never got close to playing with the BIOS, so I'm asking a number of things; a) should I take the advice and download a new driver for the BIOS or should I leave things as they are?
b) Should you advise me to go for it,  I don't understand their instructions. Especially the part(below) about D945GTP and upgrading to version to 1788 and then to the down load?
I have underlined the question that I have as well as the download that I think that I need.

This is what they advise.
Warning: For boards that support Intel® Active Management Technology (D945GTP and D945GCZ), you must first update to BIOS version 1788 and then update from 1788 to the newer BIOS version, otherwise the update will fail.

There are four options for updating your Intel® Desktop Board BIOS (you only need to download one). Important Notes:The Readme file includes BIOS update instructions for advanced users. If you need more complete step-by-step instructions on how to use each of these BIOS update methods, click here.Update the BIOS on your computer only if the newer BIOS version specifically solves a problem you have. We do not recommend BIOS updates for computers that do not need it. You can view all new BIOS fixes in the Release Notes.Before initiating a BIOS update, be sure to read and precisely follow the instructions included in the Readme. You may wish to print the instructions for easy reference.If a BIOS update process is interrupted, your computer may not function properly. We recommend the process be done in an environment with a steady power supply (preferably with UPS).Recovery BIOS Update [NT4131P.BIO] - A .BIO file to be used for BIOS recovery process, regardless of operating system. In the unlikely event that a BIOS update is interrupted, it is possible the BIOS may be left in an unusable state. Use the Recovery BIOS update to recovering from this condition. It requires a blank floppy diskette or CD.ISO Image BIOS Update [NT4131P.ISO] - Bootable ISO image BIOS update; this is the recommended method to update the BIOS on systems running Linux*. It requires a blank CD and a read/writeable CD drive.Express BIOS ]

Update [NT94510J.86A.4131.EB.EXE] - Self-extracting Windows*-based update file includes Software License Agreement and the utility for updating the BIOS.
It is designed  to be used on Windows* systems.
This method is the most commonly used.

Iflash BIOS Update [NT94510J.86A.4131.IB.EXE] - A DOS-based utility to update the BIOS regardless of operating system. Note: this update method cannot be used with Windows* XP 64-bit. It requires a blank floppy diskette, a bootable CD or a bootable USB device.

My system;
CPU Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz
D945GPT motherboard.
RAM 3 GB
O/S Windows XP Service Pack 3 Professional Media Edition

I have attached the BIOS info. from my PC. You will notice that currently I have version
NT 94510J.86A.3814. etc,etc.

Would certainly appreciate your advice, Thank You.

[Saving space, attachment deleted by admin]

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Graphic Card Woes
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 01:54:44 PM »
Personally I wouldn't bother to update the BIOS, since it's highly unlikely to fix your issue.

Have you tried older versions of the driver software? What about the NVidia reference drivers?
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 03:21:13 PM »
Thanks for responding. No I haven't tried older drivers and (excuse my ignorance), but what are reference drivers?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 03:25:38 PM »
Thanks for responding. No I haven't tried older drivers and (excuse my ignorance), but what are reference drivers?

Well, Nvidia really just manufactures the Graphics chips- other companies use the chips to create graphics cards- like BFG Tech, PNY, EVGA, etc.

Nvidia releases "generic" drivers that will work with each of these; these are the "reference" drivers. the companies often revise these to their own liking and release them as well, so they are more specific to the card.

any driver you get off nvidia.com will be a "reference" driver. From my experience they are a lot more stable and less likely to crash then the customized versions some assemblers release.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 08:28:02 PM »
And once again,thanks BC_Programmer. I downloaded and installed the driver from NVIDIA. Although the driver version has the same number (196.21) I noticed that the size of the file is quite different. BFG (86.8 MB)   NVIDIA (112 MB). Hope bigger is better?  After download it defaulted to full acceleration.

Now , would you suggest that I leave the acceleration at full, or something less. Also what about Enable Write Combining?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 08:39:07 PM »
And once again,thanks BC_Programmer. I downloaded and installed the driver from NVIDIA. Although the driver version has the same number (196.21) I noticed that the size of the file is quite different. BFG (86.8 MB)   NVIDIA (112 MB). Hope bigger is better?  After download it defaulted to full acceleration.

Now , would you suggest that I leave the acceleration at full, or something less. Also what about Enable Write Combining?

Acceleration should always be on full, and All options like "enable write combining" as well- only time one should reduce it is to troubleshoot issues, as you've done.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 08:45:19 PM »
Guess I'll just have to see what happens. Anyway,you've been just great. Thanks so much.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 08:51:51 PM »
Guess I'll just have to see what happens. Anyway,you've been just great. Thanks so much.

You're very welcome! Come back if you have any further issues/questions and we'll see what else we can do :)

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 11:55:52 AM »
Well BC_Programmer you were right I'm back. And sorry that this is so long.
But, I'm confused (again) in regards to NVIDIA.
Apparently there are two ways (that I know of anyways) of removing and installing video drivers. One is through the Device Manager(which I chose) and one is through Add/Remove programs. I used the uninstall feature and then I ran Driver Cleaner Pro,rebooted and installed the latest driver. Now here is where it gets confusing, (to me anyway). Before I removed the NVIDIA driver I checked in Add/Remove programs and there it shows NVIDIA Driver(s) -- Size  1237.00MB - (can't believe the size) Last used- 2/14/2010. This was shown before and after I removed the driver using the other method. I don't understand the size of the file or the date last used. I would have thought that at least the date would have changed after removing and installing the driver. Now, I could now use Add/Remove programs to uninstall the driver, run the cleaner ,re-install the driver again and see what I get. Do you suppose though the NVIDIA Drivers(plural) in Add/Remove programs could contain more that just the video driver? I'm kind of afraid to remove the NVIDIA Drivers in Add/Remove because I'm afraid that it may interfere with my sound card. I say this because NVIDIA is listed under Sound Device (please see attachment). I checked (Wikpedia) for sound card manufacturers and NVIDIA is not listed. (Perhaps I'm just not reading or understanding it properly)

Also, this leads me to one more question. Do you suppose the the size of files indicated in Add/Remove programs are correct? I say this because I was talked into buying a program (PC Tune-Up) and the size ( I thought it was a small program)of that program again in Add/Remove is shown as 6,700.00MB???.
So, if you can enlighten me on the stuff and advise me as what to do now , I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks

[Saving space, attachment deleted by admin]

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 04:31:10 PM »
On my  PC the "NVidia Drivers" item in Programs And Features (vista) is 2.73GB in size- there are also a few other items in there for Nvidia, related to PhysX and Stereoscopic-3d.

When dealing with graphics drivers, one should avoid using device manager to uninstall; instead the appropriate item in Add/Remove programs should be uninstalled. It does contain more then the display driver- if you right click your desktop, you will probably have an "Nvidia control panel" Option. This control panel is also installed, as well as a number of other applets. Really I cannot explain the size. on either yours or on my PC.

I highly doubt the "nvidia drivers" item contains drivers for your sound card. I have an "Nvidia drivers" entry twice the size of yours, and my video card is the only Nvidia item I have. (also, Sound would probably be supplied via chipset drivers, probably labelled "nforce drivers" or something similar.

Also since your entry for "PC Tune Up" (which you were duped into buying...) is far in excess of the size it probably consumes, the numbers could simply be inaccurate. the applet doesn't actually measure the size each one takes up- that size is stored in the registry when the program installs. If the installer sucks or doesn't work right it could write the wrong value.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 06:09:32 PM »
Thank You. I'm going to remove the NVIDIA drivers from Add/Remove and re-install. I'll get back and report.

PS Did you find it strange though that NVIDIA is listed in sound card info.?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 06:15:40 PM »
PS Did you find it strange though that NVIDIA is listed in sound card info.?

Not necessarily, NVIDIA makes chipsets, too, and oftentimes motherboard audio is part of the chipset.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 06:44:53 PM »
Hi, just ran into another snag. When I went to Add/Remove I was given these options only.

Note; no option for removing Video drivers only  If I select all, how can I get the audio driver back?

Here's my choices.
Remove all NVIDIA drivers, including Display
     "        "      "         "      , except  Display
                 or

Remove only the following

NVIDIA Display Driver
NVIDIA High Definition Audio Driver

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 06:46:25 PM »
Wait... why are we removing anything again?

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 06:49:29 PM »
Well if I just wanted to do it properly. But perhaps there's really no need?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 07:23:46 PM »
Well if I just wanted to do it properly. But perhaps there's really no need?

If everything is working fine, there is no point- the installer for the new nvidia driver will have removed the old one, otherwise you would certainly be experiencing problems.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 07:34:41 PM »
OK. I'll just leave well enough alone. And, I won't bug you unless something goes haywire.

Again, you've been just great. Can't thank you enough. Don't know what folks like me would do without folks like you.