Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Open With prompt for programs Like IE, not for files  (Read 3453 times)

lab49232

Topic Starter

Starter

Open With prompt for programs Like IE, not for files
    « on: March 04, 2010, 08:46:53 AM »
    No matter what I open even programs my computer asks me what to open it with such as virus scan, IE, AIM, Firefox. These are programs and therefore need no program to open them. I tried to restart it in safemode and I lose my wireless internet and still get the prompt for "open with" and thus can not run my virus scan. I can get on the internet still if not in safe mode but not on AIM and can't open virus scan.

When clicking on IE I can choose to open it with IE and then I get asked again what to open it with and if at that point I close the prompt box IE opens up but it doesn't work for all programs. The fact that this still happens in safe mode scares me. Not sure if it is a virus or what. I finally after jumping through some hoops managed to open system restore but I apparently have no restore points. It has been doing this for over a week now. I have ran malwarebytes and gotten nothing.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Open With prompt for programs Like IE, not for files
    « Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 09:32:44 AM »
    First thing you want to do is run a full scan on your system with BOTH your anti virus utility AND MalwareBytes

lab49232

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 09:56:34 AM »
      I have ran both and neither did anything. I have no idea what is wrong with it. I have not done anything that would remove a command or anything from my computer that I know of. I don't really mess around with much on my computer but is it possible I deleted something on my computer that could cause this? need it fixed, its really annoying!

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 10:00:51 AM »
      but is it possible I deleted something on my computer that could cause this?
      I don't know. What did you do just before the problem arose? This particular problem cannot occur spontaneously. If it's not malware then you did something - what did you do?

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 10:16:59 AM »
      BTW, if it's just .exe files that can't open (programs) download the .exe file fix and run it: http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/File-association-fixes-for-Windows-Vista.html

lab49232

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 10:23:55 AM »
        I do not remember doing anything, I am running virus scan, malware and adaware now again hoping it helps somehow this time.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 10:25:40 AM »
        AdAware is useless. Download and run MalwareBytes. And did you see my last post above re: .exe file?

lab49232

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 10:32:16 AM »
          I have both programs on my computer, malwarebytes really slows down and messes with my copmuter when its running so I don't like to use it too much.

The exe fix fixed the problem it would appear though!!!!! Thanks so much!

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 10:36:46 AM »
          You're welcome. But DO use MalwareBytes for scanning your system. Let it run when you're not sitting in front of it. Again, AdAware is useless. MalwareBytes works!!!