Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Real batch scripting  (Read 2870 times)

Notoriousnef

Real batch scripting
« on: March 04, 2010, 10:59:08 PM »
for the past week I can not seem to find one site or any help on writing a script that will launch an exe.  My only success was to create a batch file to open notepad. This is beyond frustrating I know there has to be a way to open other programs but nothing I do works. I keep getting the specified path is invalid or incorrect or there is no location etc all bs answers.  ive got right file path drive folders names everything but nothing but notepad will open any program on my pc nothing with an exe will work other then that will someone help please.  I need to figure this out cause I need to auto mate a floppy to reflash my bios but will be doing it blindly there will be no screen to see what is going on and there for need to know what are proper command lines to launch exe so whenboots and reads disk will autoexec the flash utility and install bios

drivenbywhat

Beginner

Re: Real batch scripting
    « Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 01:19:17 PM »
    It's probably due to UAC. I haven't tested it myself. However, if you're saying that notepad opens up, and notepad is an exe itself, then I see no reason why other exe's wouldn't open other than UAC stopping you. Obviously letting batch files run exe's on your pc without your approval wouldn't be very secured.

Also, doesn't flashing the bios from a floppy need to be done at bootup and not from windows? Why do you have to automate a bios upgrade? It only takes about 5 minutes. I don't see how answering "yes" to the question if you want to upgrade your bios is so tedious as to need to automate it. Automation is for system builders that have hundreds of boards to upgrade and even then the board makers usually have a utility to help them with automation.
    If you think the number of posts you have coincides with your status you are wrong. If you put guru under experience you are a noob. If your post doesn't help the requester and only starts a flame war think before replying. If you are moderator and contribute to these things you should have your privileges revoked.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 01:29:49 PM »
    Why do you want to flash the BIOS ? ?
    There are 3 stories here alone this week from posters who now have a doorstop or boat anchor from an incorrect BIOS flash.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Mulreay

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 03:51:48 PM »
    Why do you want to flash the BIOS ? ?
    There are 3 stories here alone this week from posters who now have a doorstop or boat anchor from an incorrect BIOS flash.

Hehe Patio.. a Boat anchor or a doorstop.. honestly I'm not on the lingo... well just ask anyone. Can you elaborate?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 04:31:30 PM »
    Laptops that no longer function become doorstops...
    Desktops become boat anchors...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "