Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DELL LATITUDE D820 - FAN PROBLEM  (Read 5683 times)

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    DELL LATITUDE D820 - FAN PROBLEM
    « on: March 06, 2010, 09:03:06 PM »
    Hello Good People!

I just got my laptop LATITUDE D820 cleaned inside but the fan keeps heating up with a lot of noise.
    I asked this question on DELL forums but so far no reply. I searched in DELL SUPPORT archives for my model but didn't find any relative info...

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

truenorth

Guru

Re: DELL LATITUDE D820 - FAN PROBLEM
      « Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 02:16:46 PM »
      I was not familiar with your laptop so i went to research it a bit. It certainly sounds like you made a very excellent choice (over it's competitors in the class). I was particularly interested in the review comments re your heating issue. This is what the review said about that:
      Heat & Noise

For the most part I was very pleased by the amount of heat and noise emitted by the D820. When idling or performing everyday tasks the fan speed is very slow resulting in relatively silent computing. When performing more demanding tasks (such as during the Battery Eater Pro burn-in and battery life test or rendering 3D graphics) the fan speeds up but it is not at all offensive. The only caveat is the Philips DVD-RW drive. Compared to the rest of the notebook, it sounds like a turbofan engine spooling up when it reads a CD or DVD. Moreover, the drive is not well damped causing the whole notebook body to shudder as the drive spins.

Dell has designed the D820 for excellent heat dissipation. There are two exhaust vents: one on the side and one on the rear. The left wrist rest heats up a tiny bit after a long period of operation and the right wrist rest stays completely cool throughout. Touching the underside of the laptop after the ~2 hour Battery Eater Pro stress test I found that the laptop was warm but certainly not hot enough to preclude lap-top usage for an extended period of time. The power brick stays cool even after days of keeping the notebook plugged into the wall. In short, Dell has done a superb job of managing the heat emitted by the D820's high performance components.
         So as you see what you are experiencing is far from normal and what you should be experiencing. You mentioned that you just had it "cleaned". Was that the reason that you had it cleaned due to the heat issue/ Or has this only occurred since you had it cleaned? Given your investment i would want to be dealing either with Dell or a very qualified computer repair shop. Have you done a heat test on the computer to find out what actual heat measurements you are getting? I don't think i would want to be going into the innards of that computer unless i was very familiar with doing that kind of thing. You have a fair chunk of change into it and i would not want to risk further damaging it. If your heat readings turn out to be excessively high i would stop using it until you resolve that issue. Have you tried the standalone heat reduction fan laptop cooler units?truenorth

Mulreay

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 04:29:29 PM »
      But if you can't be bothered reading all that.. (I like truenorth) then just do what I do.. I tried.. http://download.cnet.com/SpeedFan/3000-2094_4-10067444.html

Then have a look.. if things look OK which they generally do.. can you tell me what you are doing when the problem happens. I can help solve this issue.. as I have fixed it in my own laptop usually.

Get back to me  ;)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 07:24:40 PM »
      Cleaning it probably just dislodged some dust bunnies and relocated them to a new position in the machine...this is common with  laptops.
      Consider taking it to a shop to have done properly...they are not meant to be user servicable....
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "