Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trying to reinstall xp pro operating system in a Dell Inspiron laptop.  (Read 2809 times)

curtisalgin

I began this project merely trying to start this machine, I found I could not get past the user password on this counterfeit installation. I decided to install a legitimate version of xp. I found that the cd disk drive in the machine did not work. I plugged in an external cd drive and found that the machine did not read the drive properly. I tried an external floppy drive and it seems to register. I was wondering if there were a way to access the hard drive with a startup disk on the floppy drive and somehow format c drive so I could later reboot xp pro from a disk. (skipping the previous user password) I tried to use administrator to change password but failed. I attempted to access the bios but also failed. Instead of waiting for another external cd rom drive to get the ball rolling, I was wondering if this could be done by floppy drive.