Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Loading Hard Drive with Win 2k in another Notebook  (Read 2340 times)

datajuan

Loading Hard Drive with Win 2k in another Notebook
« on: July 06, 2005, 02:00:04 PM »
Hi Guys
I am running Win 2k in a Gateway Solo 9300. When I attempt to move the hard drive to another laptop [a Gateway Solo 450SX4] I get the Blue Screen.
We all know how sensitive Win 2k is to a different driver environment. My guess is that the new driver requirements of another PC is setting off the Blue screen.
Can anyone tell me how to disarm the old drivers beforehand or bypass them so windows will look for the new drivers and the OS will load without giving me the "Blue Screen"?
Thankyou - Juan
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 02:02:20 PM by datajuan »

merlin_2

Re: Loading Hard Drive with Win 2k in another Note
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 03:17:04 PM »
Win2k/winxp crack down to stop people transfering o/s/s.......attached the notbook via a null modem/data link cable and transfer your  files......you the file transfer wizard.....

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 04:20:24 PM »
    Start in safe mode.

datajuan

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 08:01:31 PM »
    Merlin
    That's just what I'm trying to avoid. In order for your suggestion to work, I'd have to be able to get to the desktop. I've already duplicated the hard drive so I could leave my other notebook operable. If you're suggesting loading win 2k in first, and then copying files over, you're talking about way to much work.
    I think i tried Fed's way, but I'll have to look again. Thankyou both for your suggestions.
    « Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 08:03:06 PM by datajuan »

datajuan

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 11:06:15 PM »
    Same screen when loaded in safe mode.

Juan D Connaughton

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 02:49:24 PM »
    I'm posting what i found. It was a memory issue. This particular notebook calls for PC100Mhz. The memory that was installed was PC133Mhz. The installed memory also wasn't specific to this application. Experience has revealed that the Gateway Solo 5300 or 5350 appears to be VERY cranky. It is not happy with just any pc100Mhz chip. It wants what is specified for it. I experimented with three different Solo models. The pc100 chip would work in two of them but not in the 5300 model.  

datajuan

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 04:22:21 PM »
    I'm posting what i found. It was a memory issue. This particular notebook calls for PC100Mhz. The memory that was installed was PC133Mhz. The installed memory also wasn't specific to this application. Experience has revealed that the Gateway Solo 5300 or 5350 appears to be VERY cranky. It is not happy with just any pc100Mhz chip. It wants what is specified for it. I experimented with three different Solo models. The pc100 chip would work in two of them but not in the 5300 model.  

I posted this to the wrong question. I can't delete it so disregard.

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #7 on: July 23, 2005, 04:49:24 PM »
      Being a member here does have it's privilages, you can fix your mistakes.  :D

datajuan

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2005, 05:08:20 PM »
      Being a member here does have it's privilages, you can fix your mistakes.  :D

I am a member 'datajuan'. I just accidentally posted it in this fromat