Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Inquiring if I am experiencing CPU failure  (Read 9988 times)

trimarco52

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Inquiring if I am experiencing CPU failure
    « Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 09:05:01 AM »
    Hi Patio,

Thank you for responding to my question.

I will have to look up my Granddaughter computer and find out what computer motherboard it uses.

I think you have given me some good sound advice to pursue.

Once again Thank You for your help

Have a nice Day !

Sincerely,
    Steven F. Trimarco

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 09:07:34 AM »
    Also, why not buy a new one? Just make sure you get it from a retailer who will accept a return if you don't need it.

trimarco52

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 09:11:57 AM »
      Hi Allen & Patio,

I look up the specification on Mt Granddaughter computer which is as follows:

Specifications
      Part Number: 1009052Gateway GT4024 Media Center Computer
      Model: GT4024

Following are the specifications for the Gateway® GT4024 Media Center computer.

Feature Specification
      Processor Intel® Pentium® D 805 (Dual Core) 64-bit processor with EM64T Technology
      •Each core operates at 2.66 GHz
      •533 MHz FSB
      •1 MB L2 cache

Chipset ATI Radeon Xpress 200 (RC410)
      Memory •1024 MB DDR2, 533 MHz (PC4200) memory (two 512 MB modules)
      •Support:
      •Two DDR2 DIMM slots
      •Accept DDR2 533/667 MHz single channel modules
      •Expandable up to 2 GB

Network Support Integrated 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN
      Video ATI Radeon Xpress 200 supports up to 128 MB of shared video memory
      Audio Integrated 8-channel (7.1) High Definition Audio
      Add-in Card Slots •One PCI Express ×16 (graphics interface)
      •One PCI Express ×1
      •Two PCI conventional

External Connectors •Rear:
      •Four USB 2.0 ports
      •One RJ-45 LAN port
      •One IEEE 1394 port
      •Two PS/2 (keyboard/mouse) ports
      •One parallel port
      •One serial port
      •One VGA monitor port
      •Five analog audio jacks plus one SPDIF jack
      •Front:
      •USB 2.0
      •One IEEE 1394 ports
      •Two audio 1/8-inch mini-jacks
      •Headphone (green)
      •Microphone (red)

Drive Bays •Two external 5.25-inch
      •Two external 3.5-inch
      •Two internal 3.5-inch (hard drive)

Power Supply 300 watt, 110 / 220 V
      Physical Dimensions
      (H × W × D) 15.6 × 7.1 × 17.8 inches
      Weight (Unpackaged) 23 lbs. (varies with configuration)

Could you tell me what type of video card I need to buy and any suggest where I can get a good price.

Once again thank you for ALL the help you have provide me for it is appreciated !!

Sincerely,
      Steven F. Trimarco

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 09:24:19 AM »
      PCI express would be the best choice...

Travel to newegg.com to review some of your choices.
      A budget dollar amount would be the best way to search since she doesn't need intense graphics capability...
      A solid PCI-e card can be had for about 40 Bucks U.S.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

trimarco52

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Inquiring if I am experiencing CPU failure <<<>> UPDATE <<<>>>
        « Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 04:58:09 AM »
        Hi Allen & Patio,

GREAT NEWS I purchase locally a used PCI Express video card for $20 and it worked and I downloaded the latest updated driver for it and it worked !!!

I am so Happy now my Granddaughters have their computer back. So I like once again THNK YOU for all your help !!

I have one remaining issues I had some old educational programs for math and reading for my Granddaughters (6yrs & 8yrs) that don't work anymore. These programs came from a windows 98 operating system did work in the windows XP when I change the compatibility to Windows 98 or just to the 256 graphics.

But now they don't work with the new Video card no matter how I change the compatibility.

Any suggestion or software I can buy that might make these program work because they are great educational games that they really enjoyed.

Once again thank you for helping me get my Granddaughter working again !!!!

Sincerely,
        Steven F. Trimarco

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 05:42:49 AM »
        Great news - glad to hear you're up and running. As for the software, what exactly happens when you install it and try to run it?

trimarco52

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 08:22:31 AM »
          Hi Allen,

Thank you for the quick response to my inquire.

When I tried to start any of my granddaughter programs a black screen appears and then quickly disappears and reverts back to the desktop screen.

I also tried starting the programs at the Command Prompt with the same results. However Just the black screen remains and I had to pull up the task manager and end the command prompt.

All these programs did not work at first until I change the compatibility to 256 color and resolution of 640 X 480

The only thing that has change was the video card and driver for it.

I thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Sincerely,
          Steven F. Trimarco

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 08:35:05 AM »
          Are you saying that the games worked until you changed the video card (and then only at 256 color)?

Here are a couple of suggestions that may or may now work:

1) You say the entire screen goes black? Try setting the program properties to open in a normal window rather than maximized
          2) Try reinstalling the programs. Some programs check for video compatibility during installation.

trimarco52

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 11:12:06 AM »
            Hi Allen,

My granddaughter has three slots One PCI Express ×1    Two PCI conventional

I found at Comp USA  for $16.96

Diablotek VAR128P-P16 Rage 128 Video Card - 16MB DDR, PCI, VGA, Video Card

Diablotek Rage 128 Video Card
            Stay attuned with the latest in video card technology! With Diablotek Rage 128 16MB Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI), you're ensured of superb visual experience with speedy performance and excellent images. Diablotek Rage comes with SuperScalar Rendering Engine, which is designed to operate dramatically elevated memory and engine speed, Concurrent Command Engine , a Single-Pass Multi Texturing, and a Twin Cache Architecture that allows to efficiently use the cache resources on chip to deliver the maximum performance in all situations. So, don't settle for that ordinary video card you have. Upgrade to Diablotek Rage 128 16MB PCI now!

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3281684&CatId=319

Allen do you think this might work ?

Sincerely,
            Steven F. Trimarco
            I went to gate way to get the specifications but it did not say what kind of motherboard

Specifications
            Part Number: 1009052Gateway GT4024 Media Center Computer
            Model: GT4024

Following are the specifications for the Gateway® GT4024 Media Center computer.
            Feature   Specification

Processor   Intel® Pentium® D 805 (Dual Core) 64-bit processor with EM64T Technology ·   Each core operates at 2.66 GHz ·   533 MHz FSB ·   1 MB L2 cache

Chipset   ATI Radeon Xpress 200 (RC410)

Memory   ·  1024 MB DDR2, 533 MHz (PC4200) memory (two 512 MB modules) ·  Support: ·   Two DDR2 DIMM slots ·   Accept DDR2 533/667 MHz single channel modules ·   Expandable up to 2 GB

Network Support   Integrated 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN

Video   ATI Radeon Xpress 200 supports up to 128 MB of shared video memory
            Audio   Integrated 8-channel (7.1) High Definition Audio

Add-in Card Slots   ·  One PCI Express ×16 (graphics interface) ·  One PCI Express ×1 ·  Two PCI conventional

External Connectors   ·  Rear: ·   Four USB 2.0 ports ·   One RJ-45 LAN port ·   One IEEE 1394 port ·   Two PS/2 (keyboard/mouse) ports ·   One

parallel port ·   One serial port ·   One VGA monitor port ·   Five analog

audio jacks plus one SPDIF jack ·  Front: ·   USB 2.0 ·   One IEEE 1394 ports ·   Two audio 1/8-inch mini-jacks ·   Headphone (green) ·   Microphone (red)

Drive Bays   ·  Two external 5.25-inch ·  Two external 3.5-inch ·  Two internal 3.5-inch (hard drive)

Power Supply   300 watt, 110 / 220 V

Physical Dimensions(H × W × D)   15.6 × 7.1 × 17.8 inches

Weight (Unpackaged)   23 lbs. (varies with configuration)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            « Reply #24 on: March 16, 2010, 11:27:55 AM »
            The card you bought was "the latest in video technology" around ~1995; it has hardly any 3-d features that are used by any semi-modern games; in fact, if I recall correctly it doesn't even properly support OpenGL. Additionally, since all you have are PCI and PCIE x1 slots there isn't a whole lot you can hope for in terms of video technology... I doubt you'll be able to get a card in there that is even equal to the on-board.

One question- I only really skimmed this topic- but it appears that nobody at any point suggested trying to reinstall the drivers for the on-board video; it would appear from this:

I ask this because when I turn on the computer nothing happens other than seeing briefly the logo on the monitor and then send a message no signal.

That when windows took over, you encountered the "no signal" message. Another option is to see if you can boot with the integrated graphics in Safe mode.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

trimarco52

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2010, 11:57:08 AM »
              Hi Pc Programmer,

Thank you fro replying to my problems I am having.

Allen Suggested my problem may not be CPU failure but video card failure. Well I bought a used PCI –Express and installed it and the computer booted right up. However I have some old educational games that my Granddaughter love, but they would not work. All I would get was a flashing black screen and it go back to the Desktop as if I never even tried starting them.

I had installed these educational games in my Granddaughter Windows XP operating system, but to get them to work I had to change the compatibility to 256 color and resolution of 620 X 480 and once I did that they worked fine.

Now I tried them with the new PCI Express video card and they will not work no mater how I change the Compatibility.

So I look up a PCI Video card at CompUSA and hoping this will work with my Granddaughter games. (These educational games where bought between 1995 to 1999)

I was looking at this video cart at CompUSA

I found at Comp USA  for $16.96

Diablotek VAR128P-P16 Rage 128 Video Card - 16MB DDR, PCI, VGA, Video Card

Diablotek Rage 128 Video Card
              Stay attuned with the latest in video card technology! With Diablotek Rage 128 16MB Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI), you're ensured of superb visual experience with speedy performance and excellent images. Diablotek Rage comes with SuperScalar Rendering Engine, which is designed to operate dramatically elevated memory and engine speed, Concurrent Command Engine , a Single-Pass Multi Texturing, and a Twin Cache Architecture that allows to efficiently use the cache resources on chip to deliver the maximum performance in all situations. So, don't settle for that ordinary video card you have. Upgrade to Diablotek Rage 128 16MB PCI now!

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3281684&CatId=319

Do you think this might work ?

Sincerely,
              Steven F. Trimarco

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              • Certifications: List
              • Computer: Specs
              « Reply #26 on: March 16, 2010, 12:25:17 PM »
              the card you're looking at was the card I was referring to, actually. I thought you had already gotten it.

what is the card that you have in there Now?
              I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

trimarco52

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2010, 12:35:36 PM »
                Hi BC Programmer,

I bought a used ASUS PCI Express and I don't remember the model number. I just installed it and I had software that updates drivers and it did it automatically.

Tomorrow I and going to me daughter house to work on my Granddaughter computer and I will get the make and model number for you.

I just thought a simple fix would to but the cheapest pci card I can fine and hope it will work my granddaughter’s educational games that they really love. They were really disappointed that they did not work.

Thank you for you quick reply for it is appreciated !!

Sincerely,
                Steven F. Trimarco

trimarco52

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Inquiring if I am experiencing CPU failure <<>>Message to Allen <<>>
                  « Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 08:34:56 AM »
                  Hi Allen ,

I did not make it to my daughter house to work on my Granddaughter computer.

I will try your suggestion of reinstalling the software but since these educational games came in 3 1/2 disk I will have to install the 3 1/2 disk drive.

I should mention that I had these games on hard drive which I installed in my granddaughter as a 2nd drive. So I never really installed them in the computer but they did work running off the 2nd drive, but now they don't and I concluded the only thing different was the new video card that I installed.

If reinstalling them does not work would you think buying a cheap PCI card may make these program work again?

Once again thank you for all your help !!

Sincerely,
                  Steven F. Trimarco

Allan

• Mastermind
                  « Reply #29 on: March 19, 2010, 08:53:19 AM »

If reinstalling them does not work would you think buying a cheap PCI card may make these program work again?

Sorry Steven, I have absolutely no idea.