Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Asus screen replacement problem  (Read 2807 times)

jtasus09

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Asus screen replacement problem
    « on: March 09, 2010, 10:11:45 AM »
    Laptop screen ASUS X83V -

The screen failed from the computer being dropped. When the computer was plugged into an external monitor all worked fine, except the laptop screen.

Bought a new screen [N80VB-1B LCD TFT 14.1' WXGA GLARE (LED)], installed it but it did not work. I took it apart again and a small piece of metal fell out of the computer from somewhere (see attached pic of the little piece of metal.)

My guesses for why the replacement did not work is the sole ribbon connection came undone during reassembly or 2. the mystery piece of metal that fell out plays some crucial role like grounding.

My questions are how can I secure the ribbon connection better than just reusing the old tape? And what is the piece of metal that fell out and how do I fix it. Finally - can I test the monitor before reassembling or does it need to be grounded to the chassis?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

jt

[Saving space, attachment deleted by admin]

truenorth

Guru

Re: Asus screen replacement problem
      « Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 04:17:18 PM »
      This will certainly be under the broad heading of a suggestion. As we know laptop screens are designed to turn off when the cover is closed. The piece you show sure looks like it could be related to a circuit creator activated when the cover is open/closed.This (if it does perform that function) could explain why the screen does not come on at all. If you have the ability to either send the picture you gave us to Asus tech they should recognize it. Or perhaps even bringing it (the small piece)in to a repair shop and ask them what they believe it is.truenorth

jtasus09

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 09:06:34 AM »
        Thanks for your thoughts. I think I resolved the little metal piece question so now I was wondering if it would cause any harm in plugging in the replacement screen, reinstall the battery and boot it without completely reassembling?

Thanks

JT

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 09:40:35 AM »
          I cannot give you the answer you would like to hear. Without doing some testing component by component to see if there are any other issues it will be somewhat of a gamble to just reinstall the new screen and let her rip. Heaven only knows at this point what other damages may have occurred from the fall. You did not mention in your original post if "anything" was working after the fall or when you 1st tried your new screen. So if that is true then you have no baseline to assume from. If things were working and just not the screen then i would feel more confident about starting it up. If you don't want to take it where someone is told what happened and then with care checks certain things then it will be a chance that no other parts may be floating around inside. I tend to live a bit on the edge so i would probably do it and be prepared to lose the computer. Fingers crossed--goodluck,truenorth

jtasus09

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 09:51:47 AM »
            When it originally fell and sustain damage everything still worked ok except about one third of the screen was messed-up. During the course of about a week it got worse then total screen failure. However, when using an external monitor everything worked fine.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 10:15:31 AM »
              Well that is very encouraging. Go for it then.let us know how it plays out. truenorth