Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DirectX 9.0c (Aug 2006) and 3Dfx Voodoo  (Read 8421 times)

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Familiar
    DirectX 9.0c (Aug 2006) and 3Dfx Voodoo
    « on: March 12, 2010, 09:22:37 AM »
    I am considering upgrading DirectX on the oldest computer in the house to version 9.0c.  (I have Windows98SE installed as the operating system.)  There is a graphics card installed, and it is the Diamond Monster 3D II from 1998.  If I install DirectX 9.0c (the latest version of that will install on Windows98SE), will the Diamond Monster 3D II still operate properly?  I currently have DirectX 8.0, and the card was working properly the last time I checked.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: DirectX 9.0c (Aug 2006) and 3Dfx Voodoo
    « Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 09:34:31 AM »
    Where did you see that DirectX would run on 98 ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 09:54:45 AM »
    Where did you see that DirectX would run on 98 ? ?

windows 98 COMES with DirectX would be the first clue.

Updating the DX would be pointless in this case, though. the Diamond Monster 3d is  DX5 level card, and doesn't even implement Direct3d in hardware, only DirectDraw 1 or 2.

Consider for a moment that DirectX 9.0C has removed DirectDraw entirely and you can sort of understand that there will be no gain.

The only reason to install DX9.0c is to run a DX9.0c game. a DX9.0c hasn't a chance  in *censored* of working very well on that machine anyway.

I'd just stick with DirectX 8 on a windows98SE machine.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 09:59:18 AM »
    I meant ver. 9.0...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 10:03:02 AM »
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000; Windows 2000 Advanced Server; Windows 2000 Professional Edition ; Windows 2000 Server; Windows 2000 Service Pack 2; Windows 2000 Service Pack 3; Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows 7; Windows 98; Windows 98 Second Edition; Windows Home Server; Windows ME; Windows Server 2003; Windows Server 2003 R2 Datacenter Edition (32-Bit x86); Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition (32-bit x86); Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1;

But like I say, there's really no point in installing it unless you have a card that supports DX9 in hardware. In which case the real question is why your using Windows 98 with a card that supports DX9 in hardware. :P
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 10:24:18 AM »
    Thanx for the info BC...

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 11:21:24 AM »
      windows 98 COMES with DirectX would be the first clue.

Updating the DX would be pointless in this case, though. the Diamond Monster 3d is  DX5 level card, and doesn't even implement Direct3d in hardware, only DirectDraw 1 or 2.

Consider for a moment that DirectX 9.0C has removed DirectDraw entirely and you can sort of understand that there will be no gain.

The only reason to install DX9.0c is to run a DX9.0c game. a DX9.0c hasn't a chance  in *censored* of working very well on that machine anyway.

I'd just stick with DirectX 8 on a windows98SE machine.

The Diamond Monster 3D and the Diamond Monster 3D II actually both support Direct3D.  The original Jedi Knight by Lucasarts uses Direct3D.  I installed DirectX 9.0c already, and there were no ill effects on the graphics card.  It's still working properly and everything.  No problems with the sound card were encountered either.

However, the DirectX update fixed a problem I had been experiencing trying to get a TCP/IP multiplayer game going in Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II between the HP 7285 and the Dell 2350 computers.  The client could see the host game, but could not connect.  (I was getting a join error in the game.)  After DirectX 9.0c was installed, the problem disappeared.  There are many different redistributables of DirectX 9.0c, and I went and got the latest version that would install on Windows98SE.

The multiplayer gaming problem with Jedi Knight was the reason why I decided to upgrade to DirectX 9.0c.

Keithuk

Rookie

• Martin2k
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 03:14:33 PM »
      DirectX 9.0c (Nov 07) is the last version that will install on Win98SE/ME even though it says the newest version will run on all Windows versions.  ;)
      Windows XP 2002 SP3 - Desktop computer
      Vista Home Premium SP2 - Laptop
      Windows ME - Spare computer
      Windows 8 64bit - Laptop

Programming with VB.