Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Security Update for Windows XP Failed (KB973904)  (Read 7427 times)

Doksa

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Security Update for Windows XP Failed (KB973904)
    « on: March 09, 2010, 02:59:28 PM »
    I am having a Windows Update issue.  Everytime I logon, it come up that I have updates available.  When I try to install them, one Security Update fails everytime.  KB973904.  All the rest successfully install.  Anything I can do?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Security Update for Windows XP Failed (KB973904)
    « Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 03:05:53 PM »
    Try downloading the update and installing it manually

Doksa

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 08:41:52 AM »
      I downloaded the file to my computer and attempted to install the update that way.  However, it failed once again saying: "The Security Update you are trying to install does not match the version of Windows you are running.".  Which make no sense what so ever.  I am running XP.  KB973904 is a Security Update for XP...

Any other ideas?

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 09:50:03 AM »
      Do you have SP2 or SP3 installed?  For info on KB973904, see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=973904.  I noticed this in the article:

How to obtain help and support for this security update
      For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in the United States and Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary.

Doksa

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 05:22:37 PM »
        SP 3...

Interesting...so I am going to have to call Microsoft so my PC doesn't d/l their update everytime I logon?!

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 05:34:35 PM »
        SP 3...

Interesting...so I am going to have to call Microsoft so my PC doesn't d/l their update everytime I logon?!
        Of course not. ::) The link I posted is a one-time solution so that the problem does not reoccur.  Did you not carefully read it?  Visit it again and take a careful look at it.  Does it seem to fit your situation?  If it's confusing, I suggest you go ahead and try the Fix this problem link shown there.

Edit: Well, hold up before you try the Fix this problem link shown there. Where it says:
        "When a file has the ".doc" file name extension, but the content is a plain text file or another kind of file that is not a Microsoft Word binary file, and that file is opened in Microsoft Word, you may receive the following error message up to three times before Microsoft Office Word successfully opens the file",
        does that fit your situation?