Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Restart at Windows Loading Screen  (Read 2616 times)

drillkid31

Topic Starter

Rookie

Restart at Windows Loading Screen
    « on: March 10, 2010, 02:23:19 PM »
    Alright, I apologize if this has been solved in another thread, but I just needed to know.

My younger brother has an HP Desktop computer. About 3 or 2 years old I think...

Anyhow, he enjoys turning the computer off by using the button instead of the proper shutdown procedures. This caused his computer to do the following:

1. The computer turns on.
    2. The computer then shows a screen asking if they want to start Windows normally, under the last known good configuration, safe mode, safe mode w/ networking, or safe mode w/ command prompt.
    3. No matter what is chosen, it then begins to load Windows XP.
    4. Not too long once it starts trying to load, the monitor mentions something about going to sleep (as if the computer was off... But the light on the computer is still on.) and the computer restarts from 2.

Now, we managed to solve it once by SOMEHOW reinstalling Windows. However, the problem is happening again. And we don't remember how we managed to get lucky and reinstall windows.

So, how can I manage to get back to a point to reinstall windows or save his computer?

(Keep in mind, we didn't have to use any disc when we saved it last time...)

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Restart at Windows Loading Screen
    « Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 08:10:47 PM »
    The computer probably has a restore partition. I think that F11 is the key to access it on HPs. Tap F11 as the computer is starting up ( before windows loads).

However, you may not have to reinstall windows. If I were you the first thing that I would do in this situation is check BIOS to make sure that the power saving options are turned off. They will be called suspend mode or S1, S3, etc. Turn those off or load the BIOS default settings.
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/