Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard drive speed  (Read 3574 times)

alnov

Hard drive speed
« on: March 10, 2010, 06:14:08 PM »
I need to purchase a new hard drive for my laptop. I'm concidering forking out a few more $ for a 7200 rpm drive. I don't store a lot of data, but I want it to run as fast as possible, use it mostly for the internet. Any thoughts on if there would be much noticeable difference between a 5400 rpm and a 7200 rpm drive? Thanks!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Hard drive speed
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 08:23:46 PM »
Sounds like a good plan. Intel is a good idea to have next to hard drive on hand.
You say that you don't store it much data and the your primary use is the Internet. In those circumstances getting a faster hard drive would be of little value. The better choice would be to buy more memory.

Here is the reasoning about this. There is a relationship between datastorage size and speed. The more data you have the more important speed becomes. But if you have a small amount of data the speed factor becomes less important. In effect, a drive with a small amount of data on it is, on the average, much faster than a drive that is full of data. Of course there are other factors, such as disk fragmentation and what kind of programs that use PC has.

So then,, in my opinion you should max out the memory first and then think about the hard drive later.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru