Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help! Researching for programs to create folders, and, programs to manage Info.  (Read 4164 times)

Mango2007

Help!

I work for a huge corporate - think... Office Space.

I just transferred to the Marketing department where they have tasked me with going through 500+ folders with folders inside of these folders and organizing them by product line and type of document i.e. flyer, brochure, advertisement etc.... My estimate is there is over a 1,000 files

The whole shared server is an absolute mess. :o

I am using the ctrl + F to do a blanket search and am finding duplicates of file extension names.

It is a mixture of files pdf.'s, word, power point. Nothing is named in a uniformed manner.

Can you give ideas on how to attack this project... what is the best way to get my arms around all the information?

Any ideas/ strategy or programs that are useful for managing folders would be great.

The end goal is to have everything organized into folders on a shared server and keep it organized.

Veltas

Intermediate

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Can you run batch files?

If you're not sure, open notepad, type 'MKDIR test' (without quotes) and save as TEST.BAT (making sure the 'Save as type:' box shows 'All Files', not text doc).  Then locate it and double-click.  If a black window opens and closes, and a folder named 'test' is created, then you can run batch files.  If not, I can't help you.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
To search for duplicates, I think this could be very helpful: http://www.easyduplicatefinder.com/.  For a review on it, see http://www.easyduplicatefinder.com/softpedia-review.html

Regarding an overall strategy, this article might be helpful: 8 tips to manage your files better, and this: 10 File Management Tips