Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer is soooo sloooowww?  (Read 5404 times)

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • The wonders of modern technology.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Computer is soooo sloooowww?
    « Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 12:04:30 AM »
    Hello everyone, thank you for your help with this old computer.  ;D
    I've done as much as I care to do for it now, and with your help we have managed to improve its performance quite notably.  ;) 8)

Will DSL work if there is a phone line to the house, but the phone service is disconnected?
    Yes that is how he has it set up now jkolak. The ISP charge for the internet and the service is provided over the phone line but has no telephone support. He uses his mobile for all his calls because the plans are cheaper and provide more calls per $.  :-\

There are basically three things wrong with it, that makes it as good as its going to get.
    There is not enough RAM.
    The USB ports/card are slow data processing (1.0 from memory)
    3rd but not least.... for what he uses the computer for, he probably wont add any extra money into it to make it a better machine.(Plenty of Fish or RSVP doesn't require a speedy delivery of photo's of the female persuasion any more for him.... he has a girlfriend now.)

The amount of dust throughout the internals and on the chip heat sink was huge (about18 mm of dust around the fan surround).

I must say it has been a remarkable increase in speed of downloading and starting up, while it has been here.
    Quite acceptable actually.

Thank you for your help one and all.
    ImnoGuru.  ;D
    It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

dvdreplication

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 12:34:58 AM »
      I think you are having many things in your pc and also you need to clear the cookies. ::)

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
      • The wonders of modern technology.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 05:16:56 AM »
        Thank you for your suggestion dvdreplication.

That is actually one that I have not thought about as well.  :D
        It will all help to make it go quicker for him. ( and me when I go over there. Hehehe)
        It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.