Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows media Encoder Series 9  (Read 3081 times)

Christiane

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Windows media Encoder Series 9
    « on: March 12, 2010, 04:29:41 PM »
    Good day All,

I have just tried to download Windows Media Encoder Series 9. All went well until the download scree hit  - Installing the Windows Media Runtime Files -

Problem:
    I have the installation screen stuck on  - Installing the Windows Media Runtime Files -.
    The download is complete and the screen will not disapear.

I cannot use the progrram.

I cannot delete the program.

Any suggestions before I shoot this thing! LOL

Christiane

talldude123

Rookie

• I enjoy computers as well as public transit.
      Re: Windows media Encoder Series 9
      « Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 05:14:56 PM »
      Hi there Christiane,

Boot up the computer in Safe Mode (Press F8 during boot), and try to re-install or remove the file again.

May I suggest using an alternative media player? I find that QuickTime is a very good video player, and doesn't use Windows Codecs, it uses it's own instead.

Download it here:
      http://www.apple.com/quicktime
      Woman - "Slow down, foreplay is an art"
      Man - "Well, if you don't get your canvas arranged soon, I'm gonna spill my paint!"

Christiane

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 05:42:13 PM »
        Thanks!

I would love to, but it's stuck in a loop re; It keeps on trying to download the Media Runtime Files!

I did try to restart my pc, but to no avail.... LOL

Christiane

talldude123

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 05:47:59 PM »
          Hello again Christiane,

Download HiJackThis and post a log file.

(Don't worry, it's safe, doesn't collect any info related to malware or anything of that nature).

http://www.filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/
          Man - "Well, if you don't get your canvas arranged soon, I'm gonna spill my paint!"

Christiane

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 06:05:11 PM »
            Tks for the suggestion...

I just tried to download the program and it tells me that another program is in the process of being installed...re: cannot download file and install another program!

This is fast becoming very aggravating!

Christiane

Christiane

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 06:08:17 PM »
              I know that this is most probalby not a good idea...But if I just pulled the plug.. Would it not just 'reset' things?.

Christiane

talldude123

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 06:33:04 PM »
                If you posted a HiJackThis logfile, it will tell me what's running at startup. If something nasty is starting up, posting the logfile will help us find what's wrong with your PC.

Christiane

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 07:46:39 PM »
                  Like I explained, because the Windows Media Encoder Series 9 - Windows Media Runtime files were trying to download - and not getting anywhere re: stuck in a loop, I was unable to do anything else!

I tried to download the HJack, but the response was that it could not do so, because another program was downloading i.e. Windows Media Runtime files!

I tried to restart my pc, no go, the download was stuck there, and nothing would move.

Like really stuck in a loop!

So, what I did, was a System Restore. Did not have any choice because of the download was going nowhere (and that is a Microsoft download!).

I set the System Restore to yesterday, and hoped for the best. The pc did shut down finally, and did its thing, only to come back and tell me that it had been unable to restore to the point I had set...and was back to the same point re: today....BUT...the good thing is that the download is now GONE!!!

In other words, it is not trying to download anymore!!!! And the download screen is gone.

Now, I will go ahead and remove the darn program and hope all is well!

Christiane

Christiane

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 08:00:52 PM »
                    Ok, like I was saying, I was going to remove the program from my pc, but as I have discovered it is not showing in the Add Remove program.

Now, it is showing in the c/programs files - Can I just go ahead and delete that thing? It caused me enough problems!

Chris

talldude123

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 08:10:39 PM »
                      Hi Chris.

I would suggest trying to do a system restore at this point in time, back to the time when Windows Media Player runtime was installed.

Christiane

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 08:22:20 PM »
                        The system restore I did (about 1/2 hour ago)  went through its motions, only to come back with a message as what it had not worked...i.e. no restore done.

All it did was to remove the download screen...(which is what I wanted...)

So, do yiou mean to bring it back to when I download the program?  If I may ask why?

Chris