Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: desktop.ini on client  (Read 2252 times)

Atari7800

desktop.ini on client
« on: March 16, 2010, 08:01:57 AM »
I'm at work and one of the clients on the domain has a desktop.ini notepad that opens on startup.  I've fixed this in the past by de-selecting it in msconfig/startup. when I log in under my username, the desktop.ini is in startup and de-selected, but when I log in under the user, it still comes up, and the user doesn't have rights to bring up msconfig.  Is there another way to remove these?

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: desktop.ini on client
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 08:03:56 AM »
DO NOT use msconfig to manage startup programs.

Download and run Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel or delete the item from it's registry location (which Startup Control Panel will do for you).

Atari7800

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 08:13:28 AM »
thanks for the help, but why shouldn't i use msconfig?

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 08:16:28 AM »
It is a diagnostic utility designed for troubleshooting. When you uncheck a startup item you are essentially running in diagnostic mode.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 08:16:31 AM »
thanks for the help, but why shouldn't i use msconfig?

Best explanation i ever read:

The reason is because with msconfig and Hardware Profiles, you can disable services that may be vital to boot your system. With the management console (services.msc) you cannot. Also, msconfig, while unchecking the box, is disabling the service.

The "Disable All" button also scares me. It should not even be there as no reason exists to justify disabling "everything."

Not "allowing" people to use msconfig reduces the flames and technical support questions in my inbox from people that fail to read the descriptions I offer with each service and the warnings I attach to them.

Kudos to Black Viper...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "